Upgrading 2.0.3 to 2.0.11

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Up the Junction

Upgrading 2.0.3 to 2.0.11

Post by Up the Junction »

Problem: I need to upgrade from v 2.0.3 to 2.0.11 (I know, I know).

Mods: My forum is heavily modded but I'm happy to start from scratch with a clean software install.

Question: What in your opinion is the easiest way to upgrade? I understand some tables/the db index was changed from 2.0.3 to 2.0.4 (or some subsequent version) so is it a case of having to upgrade in stages (ie 0.3 to 0.4, then 0.4-0.8 etc) - or can I run a straight patch from 0.3 to 0.11?

I should add that my php and phpbb knowledge is reasonably limited (hence the delay in upgrading!) so the easiest route, the better really.

All advice appreciated. Many thanks.
pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

Probably would be easiest to start fresh and reinstall any MODs (make sure they're compatible with 2.0.11).
The official upgrading phpBB knowledge base article ;)
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.
Up the Junction

pentapenguin wrote: Probably would be easiest to start fresh and reinstall any MODs (make sure they're compatible with 2.0.11).
The official upgrading phpBB knowledge base article ;)

Thanks ... I had had a browse around there previously but could find nothing to confirm whether I needed to upgrade in stages or not.
Up the Junction

Okay ... I'm looking at running a clean install of 2.0.11 - but can see no info with regard to compatibility with v2.0.3 db. The knowledge base re-install page says nothing about incompatibilities and how to deal.

I have been recommended to upgrade versions gradually - again, can anyone confirm? If so, which versions from 2.0.3 onwards do I need to install?

Thanks again in advance.
Drexion
Former Team Member

Post by Drexion »

Up the Junction>> The 'update_to_2011.php' file will modify the database to 2.0.11 standards.
So basically backup the database/forum files safely before doing anything.
You are getting rid of the MODs right ?
Then upload fresh 2.0.11 files, overwriting the ones on your server. (except the config.php file, don't upload that)
Then, run the update script. In the 'install' folder is the update_to_2011.php file. Point your browser to ...yoursite.com/.../install/update_to_2011.php , which will run it, then afterwards delete the install folder from your forum folder.

A possible problem I can see arising is any database modifications which your MODs may have required - they *may* conflict with the update script. If possible remove any tables/undo any changes to the database which your MODs may have needed. Which is why you should backup everything first.
Up the Junction

Drexion: thanks. I'll give it a go.

It's been a while since I modded anything but I'm pretty sure all the mods I've made are layout changes (table wirths, form sizes, colours etc). Nothing much grander than that.
Up the Junction

Just to say all went well, unbelievably not a single hitch 8O

http://www.kumb.com/forum/

Thanks again for the assistance chaps ... much appreciated.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”