Failed sending email :: PHP ::

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
djwhitey

Post by djwhitey »

after posting, a large majority of my users are randomly getting this message after clicking "submit" when either replying or starting a new topic... though I think the line number changes sometimes

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : /homepages/1/d93094781/htdocs/forum/includes/emailer.php
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

A couple things to try. Firstly, try enabling SMTP mailing in Admin Panel > General Admin > Configuration, and entering "localhost" for the server, without the quotes, respectively. If this does not work, and you have an e-mail account on your account with your hosting provider, try entering its login details. If still no luck, you should contact your host about mail issues. :)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
djwhitey

Post by djwhitey »

tried that and got this at the top:
Warning: fsockopen(): unable to connect to localhost:25 in /homepages/1/d93094781/htdocs/forum/includes/smtp.php on line 109

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/1/d93094781/htdocs/forum/includes/smtp.php:109) in /homepages/1/d93094781/htdocs/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 475

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/1/d93094781/htdocs/forum/includes/smtp.php:109) in /homepages/1/d93094781/htdocs/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 477

Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /homepages/1/d93094781/htdocs/forum/includes/smtp.php:109) in /homepages/1/d93094781/htdocs/forum/includes/page_header.php on line 478

ps - hosted by 1and1
and this at the bottom (where it usually says "thanks for posting"etc):
Could not connect to smtp host : 111 : Connection refused

DEBUG MODE

Line : 111
File : /homepages/1/d93094781/htdocs/forum/includes/smtp.php
AdamR
Former Team Member
Name: Adam Reyher

Post by AdamR »

Then there are obviously some issues with your hosting provider and sending e-mail. They may be able to provide more information for you. You should contact them. :)

- Adam
phpBB Support: Welcome | Userguide | Knowledge Base | Search
Honored supporter of the phpBB Group!
"If I have seen a little further it is by standing on the shoulders of Giants." - Isaac Newton
lcwalters

Same Problem Sending Mass Emails !!

Post by lcwalters »

I tried modifying the SMTP settings in the phpBB configuration but the problem with that approach is that the mass email function apparently validates all email addresses and if there is a single invalid address then the whole procedure fails. It is virtually impossible to ensure that our users email addresses stay valid. What is the solution to this problem because it appears that a lot of people are having this same issue ?
fizbin

Post by fizbin »

Ditto,
This is turning into a big horrible issue,

Im glad and sad to see it starting to happen to other people bsides me.

Check out my post as well under "search author fizbin" I have had people trying to help me with this issue but nothing yet.... There is virtually nothing on google about it anywhere.
Last edited by fizbin on Sat Jan 29, 2005 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
ShawnEmail

Post by ShawnEmail »

I'm having the same problem, what can I do to fix it? I am running appache and Mercury mail servers off my computer, I cant seem to get e-mail to go out no matter what I do :\
Piratez3ro

Post by Piratez3ro »

I found a way to get around this error if your provider does not enable e-mail. On line 234 in emailer.php, put a // in the line to disable it and the error shouldn't pop up, and e-mail won't send.
ShawnEmail

Post by ShawnEmail »

I still need the e-mail to send to active the account though, dont I?
ShawnEmail

Post by ShawnEmail »

What hosts allow e-mail?
lcwalters

Post by lcwalters »

I don't understand how commenting out the error message will make a difference. As far as I can see, that will just suppress the error message but that doesn't help much if the emails still don't get sent. CALLING PHP BB SUPPORT STAFF !! HELP !!
fizbin

Post by fizbin »

I was getting the error on line 125, i commented it out last week and the error just rolled to the next parse line, and so on.... but you're correct, the message may go away but mail is not getting sent as well. Not a good solution but we have to keep thowing darts at this....

I agree PHPBB people should help.

Do you think it has to do with MS patches that were released at the beginning of the month? Just a wild guess. The bad part for me is I really don't know when my forums went down. I discovered it a week ago but the could have been down for 2-3 weeks with this mail error.
djwhitey

Post by djwhitey »

/me *bUmP*s support staff
catnip2377

Post by catnip2377 »

I am having the same problem and getting the same error message. I am using 1and1 for hosting as well.

This function was working perfectly up until the last time i sent a mass email which was a few months ago. Now today I tried to send an email and I get the error message

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : /homepages/21/d87378473/htdocs/atvtrips/bbb/includes/emailer.php

I tried changing all the mail info a few times and still nothing.

You guys have any luck?
atomicrhino

Possible solution

Post by atomicrhino »

Posted this on another thread but it seems to have the same theme. I struggled with this for most of the day and came up with a different solution. In the forum configuration, for SMTP server address, instead of putting the server name, such as mail.domain.com I used the IP address of the mailserver. It worked perfectly once I changed to the IP.

Hope it helps someone.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”