Suggestion (Don't know if this is the right place)

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
sharpee

Suggestion (Don't know if this is the right place)

Post by sharpee » Wed Nov 28, 2001 12:34 am

Ok, firstly I have to say you have an amazing board, and I can't wait to see the completed version! It's hard to find anything that needs inproving (I really like the feature that when you read one post, and then go back, it says you've read that post, but still has the others around it as new [genious]). But anyways, I think this could make it a little bit better:

Ok on the main forum page... where it says who did the last post thing... how bout including the topic they posted in... Do you see what I mean? It would say something like: sharpee last posted in this topic on this date

But this is just simply the most amazing board I've seen!

sharpee

Oh wait

Post by sharpee » Wed Nov 28, 2001 12:35 am

Ok, I see that that little icon for the post leads you to the new post, but I think it wouldn't be a bad idea to say what the post is... See what I mean?

DBurton

Post by DBurton » Wed Nov 28, 2001 12:37 am

Some topics have long names. Probably better the way it is.

sharpee

Post by sharpee » Wed Nov 28, 2001 12:40 am

I know that on ikonboard (Second coolest board, phpBB is the top :D ) it says the last post, but it limits it on the forum main page to something like 20 characters... so, I could have a topic name that's 50 characters long, but on the main page it'd only show the first 20. This forum is still the best no matter what... I just thought what ikonboard did was a nice idea.

zoid

Post by zoid » Wed Nov 28, 2001 12:44 am

I agree, this would give a better overview and actually several other boards also offer it. However DBurton is right about the long names and there I could imagine a kind of shortening routine, which adds several dots to the name (like the Explorer does it with long filenames).

Alexander
Whatever you want to know, please do a Image Search before asking :).

Run your own Chatcommunity
>> PINO - Client/Server Chat for Windows <<

gameofhit

Post by gameofhit » Wed Nov 28, 2001 2:54 am

Agree, it would be kinda nice. I shall add it to my mental list of features to request when they open 'er up for 2.2 ;)

intrahost com

Post by intrahost com » Wed Nov 28, 2001 3:15 am

couldn't this just be done with templates somehow? or a quick hack?
Jeff Link - intrahost.com

Domain Names (com, net, org, info, biz) for only $16.95 a year with extensive control panel. Visit NewLinkOne.com today!

devoutus

Post by devoutus » Wed Nov 28, 2001 6:43 am

i think i have seen this qestion before and i think it can be done in the templets.

gameofhit

Post by gameofhit » Wed Nov 28, 2001 7:05 am

It could probly be done with templates, except for the shortening of long topics... but definitely a simple hack. In fact, you could probly just add a template var that is the same as the topic, except shortened to 20 (and if it was less, it would show the whole thing.) Hmmm. :D

nathan
Former Team Member

Post by nathan » Wed Nov 28, 2001 7:56 am

absinthe wrote: It could probly be done with templates, except for the shortening of long topics... but definitely a simple hack. In fact, you could probly just add a template var that is the same as the topic, except shortened to 20 (and if it was less, it would show the whole thing.) Hmmm. :D

Actually, you could probably pull it off with templates and CSS. Just set up the element you want that text in, and set its style to "overflow:hidden". Assuming everybody's browser's decent, that just might do it. :)
Nathan Codding
old-school phpBB developer

sharpee

Post by sharpee » Sat Dec 01, 2001 2:10 am

Ok, I got another suggestion :) Ok, in private messages, when you click reply, maybe you could make the message they sent you quoted... This would help the other person remember what this person is answering to. Do you see what I mean?

hsim

Post by hsim » Sat Dec 01, 2001 11:41 am

No th'is a bad idea. Maybe you don't want to quote the message.
So if you really want to quote, use the quote link in the upper right of the message you're replying to.
email me: hsim at gmx.li

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”