database backup types

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
kralos

database backup types

Post by kralos »

Hi, I'm gonna nuke my site later on to re-do everything from scratch, and i need to back up the forum. i went to the backup page in the admin panel, and there's 3 options, as everyone already knows:
-Full backup
-Structure-Only backup
-Data only backup
Now, i don't really care if the current content of the forums gets deleted, I only want to back up the members information so thet peope who are currently signed up won't have to sign up again or lose passwords. Which of those options do i select? Also, whet does each do specifically? thanks in advance.
SatCam

Post by SatCam »

You'll most likely want a full back-up. It's only a database backup, so you don't need to worry about your files being backed up.

It will save your threads and posts, but you can trunicate those rows later.
cybrid3

Post by cybrid3 »

Full Backup: Just what its says. Backs up structure and data. Note that no Mod Tables are backed up.

Structure Only: Backs up just the table info, but no data in the tables

Data Only: Backs up just the data, no structure(table) info.

I suggest you do one of each option. When you restore, try a full restore first. If that doesn't work, the restore the structure, then the data.
--Never leave home without a towel and peril sensitive sunglasses!!
kralos

Post by kralos »

ah, thats what i wanted to avoid... if i save all the threads and stuff it'll be like 10 megs, i just wan the usernames and passwors info. oh well, guess i'll just delete that later.
cybrid3

Post by cybrid3 »

Well, you can go in there and manually remove the things you don't want. Time consuming....But if yo want.
--Never leave home without a towel and peril sensitive sunglasses!!
kralos

Post by kralos »

yeah, thanks for the help :)
SatCam

Post by SatCam »

If you have/your host has phpMyAdmin, you can use the Export feature where you can choose what table data to backup.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”