Can users register more than once?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Frisbee Dog

Can users register more than once?

Post by Frisbee Dog »

I sometimes have trouble with users re-registering if they want to change their username or forget their passwords. Basically, these people are idiots. :?

I don't know if it's going to be included in the official release of phpBB 2, but is there a prevention for users to register more than once? If it isn't... I'll bring it up again later when you guys are taking requests for 2.2. ;)

EDIT: Woo hoo! I just noticed that you guys have "short" dates for the "joined" dates. Good job!
gameofhit

Post by gameofhit »

They can only register once per email addy, IIRC (and since you can enable email validation, they can't give fake addys, eh?) 8)
theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn »

Yes, there's nothing to stop someone from registering from a number of email addresses.

There are things you can do to stop this. First, turn email account validation on. Then ban the free email services like hotmail and yahoo so they can't just create new addresses, or ban their email domain if they run their own email services.

If all else failes, ban their IP and they can't even view the board to register again..

But, its kinda hard to stop really determined people...
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net
DMartin

Post by DMartin »

I was wondering how this will affect upgrading -- if someone is already registered more than once with the same email address. Is this going to be a problem, or will it only work for new registrations after upgrading to 2.0?
DeAnne Martin
theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn »

If you're going from 1.x to 2.0 it'll only effect new registrations.
phpBB 2.0, even with email validation turned off still won't let 2 people register with 1 email address.
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net
attriel

Post by attriel »

Is there any mechanism for allowing multiple registrations?

I ask b/c we're looking at running an RPG board, where players would be expected to open a new account for each character ... but making them get a new E-Mail every time seems kinda evil :|

--attriel
gameofhit

Post by gameofhit »

Sounds like a candidate for a hack.. :D

I also know that someone was interested in a hack that would let registered users enter a name when they post, but it would all link back to the same profile (i.e. same user) This way you could put in different names for each character.

I doubt it will be made possible as a standard feature, though. One email per user provides security that most people appreciate. Hack are good for specific cases like this. 8)
retiredat44

Post by retiredat44 »

I am one who didn't appreciate this feature, as as a forum Admin, I need a second account to monitor the BB as a regular user (besides my admin status) to see how well, or not well it is working.

"if ain't one thing, it's another..."
--- Rosanna, Danna, danna ---
primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain »

8O 2001! :roll:
Why don't you register an email account @ yahoo or whereever you want to test your forum as "normal" user. Otherwise, as indicated in the previous year-2001-postings, it will require a mod. Check the mods forum, maybe there is already a mod, otherwise, post a request.
Last edited by primedomain on Sat Jun 22, 2002 12:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
c90

Help...

Post by c90 »

I have a problem, someone seems to be able to register twice or more with the same email address. Could anyone help?
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

Is this an upgrade? Which version of phpBB is it?
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN
c90

Post by c90 »

I'm running 2.0.0, but I'm upgrading to 2.0.1 later on today.
retiredat44

Post by retiredat44 »

primedomain wrote: 8O 2001! :roll:
Why don't you register an email account @ yahoo or whereever you want to test your forum as "normal" user. Otherwise, as indicated in the previous year-2001-postings, it will require a mod. Check the mods forum, maybe there is already a mod, otherwise, post a request.

----------------
sorry, guess I came accross as being a bit snotty about it, should have thrown in a smily there... but I wish I could have had this feature, (or not) yes, I wil use another account...... but it probably is a good idea to not let kooks screw up boards with multiple accounts...

what I posted came accross wrong..... sorry...
Techie-Micheal
Security Consultant

Post by Techie-Micheal »

c90: Upgrade and then tell me if it is still a problem.
Proven Offensive Security Expertise. OSCP - GXPN

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”