Help with connecting to MySQL!!!

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
sjames

Help with connecting to MySQL!!!

Post by sjames »

I can't seem to get phpbb to connect with the database - the database has def been created, but I think it has something to do with the host 'local' host - I actually want the host for my MySQL database to be 'pcol-webtest' as this is where i have set phpbb up to.

How do I change the host, do I have to set the database data directory onto that host?

Through MySQL Administrator its telling me the following:

Connected to MySQL Server Instance

Username: phpbbadmin (set this in command line)
Hostname: localhost
Port: 3306

Server Info

MySQL version: MySQL 4.1.10-nt via TCP/IP
Network Name: pcol-webtest
IP: 212.219.110.235

Can anyone help?

This is the error message

Warning: mysql_connect(): Access denied for user 'simon'@'localhost' (using password: YES) in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot04\phpbb2\db\mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot04\phpbb2\db\mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot04\phpbb2\db\mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

Thanks

Sim
sjames

Post by sjames »

Sorry!! this is the error message phpbb is giving me - this is when database (phpbbforum) exists and user and password

Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot04\phpbb2\db\mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot04\phpbb2\db\mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot04\phpbb2\db\mysql4.php on line 331

jabroni

same problem

Post by jabroni »

sjames wrote: Sorry!! this is the error message phpbb is giving me - this is when database (phpbbforum) exists and user and password

Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client in C:\Inetpub\wwwroot04\phpbb2\db\mysql4.php on line 48

I got the same errors when first installing. The only way I could get it to install was by using the ms_acess_primer.mdb file (located in the /install/schmas dir). Point your DSN to that db and PHPBB should install fine.
Personally, I would rather have used a mysql database, so I'm going to play with this some more. For me, using the ms_acess_primer.mdb file was a quick fix so I could start playing with phpbb.
I know this probably doesnt really solve your problem, but I'm just letting you know what I had to do.
I hate this map...
jabroni

Fixing your problem

Post by jabroni »

sjames,
Ok, I fixed the problem (for myself, anyway) to get around those error messages. I used MySQL Administrator and set up a user account called "ODBC" and no password. Give it full permissions.
In your install page, point to the database you want, and leave the username and password fields empty.
It will then let you install with no errors.
Hope this helps you.
I hate this map...
espicom

Post by espicom »

See the third link in my signature. MySQL 4.1 and later have, by default, an incompatible password scheme vs. PHP through 5.0, which requires you to set the passwords using the "old_password" function.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer
Jynks

Post by Jynks »

Thanks for this thread solved my probs... cheers
sjames

Post by sjames »

THanks, but i am not sure if i want to do that all the time, do you know of anywhere where I can get a version of MySQL that will run fine with my php?

Sim
Jizumonkey

Post by Jizumonkey »

Any chance someone can put this in laymans terms? That third page in your sig espicom requires mostly that you are on the machine that mysql is located on, for me that isn't the case, it's a hosted site and as such I do not have acces to c:/program files/blah!!!!

How do I run it from my home pc? I've tried putting the host in as my domain, the user is correct and the password is correct but it still fails to connect so I cant even get past the first hurdle.

Thanks
Jizumonkey

Post by Jizumonkey »

OK I found the answer for me personally....with an error message like the below (not relating to permission one which is very similar):

Code: Select all

Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client in /home/carlos/public_html/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/carlos/public_html/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /home/carlos/public_html/db/mysql4.php on line 331

I entered phpmyadmin, selected my database, clicked the SQL tab and in the command box ran the following line obviously I've changed my password and username but you'd put your own...

Code: Select all

SET PASSWORD FOR username@localhost = OLD_PASSWORD('something');

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”