Private message problem !!

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
tom_mk

Private message problem !!

Post by tom_mk »

hey guysss
i'm so new to phpBB
and i'm now trying to set-up the private message section, but i don't know how can i do these stuff... i saw the "private message section" in "configuration" in "Administration Panel"..
now i clicked 'OK' then i tried to used the funciton in the 'member list ' to send the private message....but there is some error => " Failed sending email" ..??? don't know y... ( Question: is the PM associated the fuinction with SMTP or sending funciton?? ) after this erros, i then, input the smtp server data into the e-mail section in configuration.... adn try to use the PM again, but i still found this error " Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 502 Error: command not implemented "

anybody can suggest me??
thanks a lottt.... :P

primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain »

When receiving a PM, the boards sends a notification email (if enabled in Profile).
Have you tried to use the SMTP but without entering username/password? What's your hoster?

tom_mk

Post by tom_mk »

User email via board: disable
Private Messaging: enable
admin email address xxx@xxx.xxx
Use SMTP Server for email: no
smtp sever address: smtp.bonbon.net
smtp user name: xxx
password: xxx

xxx = filled in

still doesn't working while tried the above setting

any suggestion
thanks

primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain »

Enable SMTP, but leave username/password blank (username/password only work with SMTP servers that support authentication).

tom_mk

Post by tom_mk »

hey
while i get rod of the user name and passoword for smtp

there was
Ran into problems sending Mail. Response: 550 : Recipient address rejected: Relaying Denied: Authenticate with POP first or contact support@HotPOP.com

after using the PM function

any suggestion
thxxx :oops:

primedomain
Former Team Member

Post by primedomain »

tom_mk wrote:
Authenticate with POP first or contact support@HotPOP.com
The problem is that you cannot use the SMTP server without prior authentication, but the server only supports POP authentication; therefore SMTP authentication does not work either. AFAICS you are pretty much out of luck, because apparently you also get an error message when SMTP is disabled.
Suggestions:
- contact your hoster, ask them what's wrong with their sendmail setup
- use another SMTP server that supports SMTP authentification (e.g. your ISP, or ask google)
- change hoster

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”