Topic Reply Notification Email NOT Working...

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
argus

Post by argus » Wed Nov 02, 2005 10:37 pm

Fabikus wrote: I can receive notify with the mail of my own server (@mydomain).

Sounds like your topic reply notification is working just fine then.

You have a different problem that I'm not really familar with, but I'll take a stab. Sounds like you have some users with ISP's that reject email notifications coming from your host server. I suppose you could look at changing your host if everyone's ISP is rejecting your emails (who are you hosting with?). If only a few members are not receiving notification emails then the problem may be on their end--perhaps their antispam settings are too high or again their ISP is rejecting your host's emails altogether. If that's the case then I'd ask them to open a hotmail account for their forum email.

Fabikus

Post by Fabikus » Wed Nov 02, 2005 11:29 pm

Sounds like your topic reply notification is working just fine then.

You have a different problem that I'm not really familar with, but I'll take a stab. Sounds like you have some users with ISP's that reject email notifications coming from your host server. I suppose you could look at changing your host if everyone's ISP is rejecting your emails (who are you hosting with?). If only a few members are not receiving notification emails then the problem may be on their end--perhaps their antispam settings are too high or again their ISP is rejecting your host's emails altogether. If that's the case then I'd ask them to open a hotmail account for their forum email.

I've my dedicated server. But is strange that some months ago users can receive all notifications but now they can't.

drb

Post by drb » Tue Nov 08, 2005 8:15 pm

Can somebody help me out here? my head is spinning after going through the 4 pages of discussion. I have the same problem after installing the latest phpbb.

can somebody please let me know a easiest fix and in layman's terms.

Thanks,

drb

TheKog

Post by TheKog » Wed Nov 16, 2005 2:46 pm

I have a similar problem with 1 user from AOL. He does not receive topic notification emails. I also have new AOL users not receiving activation emails. This seems to be new behavior.

What's strange is I have tested topic notification myself and it seems to work just fine for me -- does this sound like the same noname "to" address problem getting bounced from AOL perhaps?

argus

Post by argus » Wed Nov 16, 2005 10:56 pm

TheKog wrote: I have a similar problem with 1 user from AOL. He does not receive topic notification emails. I also have new AOL users not receiving activation emails. This seems to be new behavior.

What's strange is I have tested topic notification myself and it seems to work just fine for me -- does this sound like the same noname "to" address problem getting bounced from AOL perhaps?

The code change mentioned in this thread was originally designed for godaddy users because of godaddy php mailer settings.

To be honest, I suspect AOL has some type of antispam setting that the user has set too high. I can't really say though because I'm not familiar with AOL.

In short, the godaddy fix is as follows if you desire to give it a try:

Code: Select all

# 
#-----[ OPEN ]------------------------------------------ 
#
includes/emailer.php

# 
#-----[ FIND ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
			$to = ($to == '') ? (($board_config['sendmail_fix']) ? ' ' : 'Undisclosed-recipients:;') : $to;

# 
#-----[ REPLACE WITH ]------------------------------------------ 
# 
			$to = ($to == '') ? (($board_config['sendmail_fix']) ? ' ' : 'emailaccount@yourdomain.com;') : $to;

#
#-----[ SAVE/CLOSE ALL FILES ]------------------------------------------
#
# EoM

AngryAngus

Post by AngryAngus » Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:24 pm

Bullseye, Argus!

I helped a friend move a site and forums to godaddy recently (what an adventure!). The mail thing had me baffled since PM notifications would be sent but no topic reply notifications. That one line fixed it!

I don't know if this will be of any help with the AOL thing, but AOL has been adding addresses to the blacklist via user spam reports. I actually called them since their block of a single IP affected over 200 domains at the hosting company I used.

Requesting a "feedback loop" will bounce reported spam to an address of your choice letting you know which e-mails were erroneously reported as spam. Naturally it won't give you the recipient's address.

However, if it's a PM notification you'll have their forum ID, and if it's a topic reply notification you'll know which thread.

The few times it's happened to the forums I managed it was usually an honest mistake. The forum member aplogized profusely and all was good. Only one turned out to be of a spiteful nature and the member was gently and quietly excused from the forums.
Recently promoted from Mild Annoyance to Major Pain.

RaoulDuke

Post by RaoulDuke » Sat Dec 10, 2005 8:40 am

Hi all!

First of all, thanks for the ideas in fixing this problem (which I'm having too).

I've tried the suggested changes with no success (as far as I can tell at least, I'm not getting reply notifications myself, so...

Could this problem have been caused when I had to migrate to a new server with my forum? I thought I caught everything, and the SQL database, files, and forum database were all migrated in full with no problems, but if there was a cron job or something that PHP used to send these reply notifications, I wouldn't have added that.

I guess what I'm asking is, what functions are php using when they send this particular message? Is it purely php-based? I had actually assumed this was my problem until I read this thread!

argus

Post by argus » Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:24 pm

RaoulDuke wrote: Hi all!

First of all, thanks for the ideas in fixing this problem (which I'm having too).

I've tried the suggested changes with no success (as far as I can tell at least, I'm not getting reply notifications myself, so...

Could this problem have been caused when I had to migrate to a new server with my forum? I thought I caught everything, and the SQL database, files, and forum database were all migrated in full with no problems, but if there was a cron job or something that PHP used to send these reply notifications, I wouldn't have added that.

I guess what I'm asking is, what functions are php using when they send this particular message? Is it purely php-based? I had actually assumed this was my problem until I read this thread!

Yes. It's a php function and the email scripts are embedded in the includes/emailer.php file. Your host has to have the php sendmail function set up properly to work with phpBB.

One other fix folks have tried with success is found earlier in this Topic. You can read through it to be sure, but if I remember correctly the other fix was as follows:

- Access your database and browse the "config" table. Set the "sendmail_fix" value from 0 to 1. It's on the 2nd or 3rd page of this table.

Prolly want to go back and set it back to 0 if it doesn't work. Can try uploading a fresh copy of the emailer.php file too just in case it got corrupted.

Otherwise, you will have to look into using SMTP for your email needs.

Side note: I likely will be switching hosts soon. Godaddy's php sendmail function is getting slower and slower (email delays) and even dropping some. I am back to using SMTP again in the meantime.

RaoulDuke

Post by RaoulDuke » Sat Dec 10, 2005 10:51 pm

yeah, I tried changing the value in the sendmail_fix table, and the modifications to the emailer.php file with no luck, in any combination of the two.

My host is ipowerweb, and they can't tell me whether they block bad e-mail addresses (as in, tech doesn't know) so I'm lost. I guess I'll try and figure out SMTP, even though I've never been able to get it to work in the past.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:10 am

RaoulDuke wrote: yeah, I tried changing the value in the sendmail_fix table, and the modifications to the emailer.php file with no luck, in any combination of the two.

My host is ipowerweb, and they can't tell me whether they block bad e-mail addresses (as in, tech doesn't know) so I'm lost. I guess I'll try and figure out SMTP, even though I've never been able to get it to work in the past.

godaddy is second only to Ipowerweb in the lack of tech support and email problems.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

RaoulDuke

Post by RaoulDuke » Sun Dec 11, 2005 11:27 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: godaddy is second only to Ipowerweb in the lack of tech support and email problems.

robert

Well bugger. They were really great for me actually aside from this problem. I run three sites hosted by them without issue. :(

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sun Dec 11, 2005 6:13 pm

RaoulDuke wrote:
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote:godaddy is second only to Ipowerweb in the lack of tech support and email problems.

robert

Well bugger. They were really great for me actually aside from this problem. I run three sites hosted by them without issue. :(

that is great, but with phpbb and other php and mysql based scripts, they seem to have problems.
do a search here for godaddy and for Ipowerweb and you will see what I mean.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

acemi

Re: BINGO!

Post by acemi » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:05 pm

balto wrote: If the others who have been having this problem can try this patch, please update this topic with your results.

Didn't work for me.

argus

Re: BINGO!

Post by argus » Tue Dec 27, 2005 7:17 pm

acemi wrote:
balto wrote:If the others who have been having this problem can try this patch, please update this topic with your results.

Didn't work for me.

If you read this entire thread, you would see that this does indeed fix a bug inherent to phpBB and godaddy hosting. If you don't host with godaddy, you shouldn't expect this to fix email-related problems you may be having.

net83it

Post by net83it » Fri Jan 20, 2006 7:13 pm

worked for me!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”