php 2 how to make some changes in what shows up

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
frankoamiricano

php 2 how to make some changes in what shows up

Post by frankoamiricano »

I do not really know what the "Usergroups" are, but I would really love to just turn that option off, is there a way to do this? Perhaps someone can give me a 2 sentence lowdown on what they are as well.

Who is Online
I would also like to disable this, I just dont want the load on the datbase all the time just to see who is online, is there a setting to turn this off, or do I have to fiddle with some mod?

Thank you, sorry for the post as I am sure this is covered, I just could not find it in the search.

Keywords for searches in the future
turn off Usergroups
turn off Who is Online
Aeon

Post by Aeon »

As far as going in your Admin CP; No, there is NOT currently an option to turn it off (i mean.. i haven't seen one.. but like all other men, i see and hear what i want to)

You can, however, remove the variable for both of those options in the template file.

First to explain Usergroups, since I currently can't find a link for you:
Imagine the usergroup as one user on your forum. You can give specific permissions/moderator access for that one user. The only difference is a usergroup has A Moderator (Person who adds others to the usergroup) and all the people in a usergroup.

All the people in that usergroup receive the permissions that the usergroup does ( i hope thats not too confusing )

As far as how to remove Who's Online:

index_body.tpl is where to go.

It has the html/variables for it.

the Usergroup link/Variable is in overall_header.tpl

Both are in your theme folder

Beware: "guessing" on what you're removing isn't the best idea. Perhapes using a wysiwyg editor would behoove you.
Jarf

Post by Jarf »

Aeon wrote: Beware: "guessing" on what you're removing isn't the best idea. Perhapes using a wysiwyg editor would behoove you.

Good advice ;-)

Or perhaps leaving the forum as it is, since these options don't hurt anybody, will save you from killing your forum :mrgreen:
Jeff Bach
Please send security issues to security @ phpbb.com.
Bug TrackerDocsStep-by-Step InstallEnable Debug ModeOther Tutorials
usered

Make board main page

Post by usered »

Sorry if this is answered somewhere else but I couldn't find it.
How do I make the board the main page? I have http://www.mysite.com/phpBB2/index.php and would like the board to be the main page.

TIA
shaine

Re: Make board main page

Post by shaine »

usered wrote: Sorry if this is answered somewhere else but I couldn't find it.
How do I make the board the main page? I have http://www.mysite.com/phpBB2/index.php and would like the board to be the main page.

TIA

you mean you want it to be http://www.mysite.com(/index.php)? well then

Code: Select all

<?
include("/phpbb2/index.php")
?>
i believe thats correct maybe leave out the / before phpbb2 but im not sure, my head hurts so bad i cant think right
usered

Post by usered »

Dang that was quick...
thanks I'll give that a try.
usered

Post by usered »

Do I make a index.html file and put that in there? Not sure where to put your instructions.

thanks
Michael Walker

Post by Michael Walker »

... or you could just use an 'index.htm' file with a meta re-direct to phpbb/index.php and delay of '0' seconds....

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”