If I downloaded the changed files only pack, do I have to

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
sniggitydiggity

If I downloaded the changed files only pack, do I have to

Post by sniggitydiggity »

go through the http://www.yourwebsite.com/phpBBnew/upgrade/install.php thing? or can I just take the file and FTP the new ones right over the old ones since in the "Changed Files" package there are only roughly ten new files?
tOnk3r

Post by tOnk3r »

If you have an unmodded forum with no theme you can just upload the changed files and overwrite the old ones.

If you have some mods you have to upload the changed files and overwrite the old ones, then you may have to replace some mods.

If you have a theme you will have to upload the changed files and overwrite the old ones in both the subSilver theme and any other themes you are using.

Make sure you back up your forum folder before changing aything.

You don't need to run the install.php file again, just repplace the changed files.

Then you have to create an install dirrectory, put the update_to_latest.php file in it and then open it in your browser, that will change the forum version in the database so you forum knows what version its running. then delete the install dirrectory.
sniggitydiggity

Thanks, I have an unmodded forum and I use Cobalt 2.0

I guess this pertains to me:
If you have a theme you will have to upload the changed files and overwrite the old ones in both the subSilver theme and any other themes you are using.

Make sure you back up your forum folder before changing aything.

When you say back it up, you mean back it up in my admin panel, right?
Then you have to create an install dirrectory, put the update_to_latest.php file in it and then open it in your browser, that will change the forum version in the database so you forum knows what version its running. then delete the install dirrectory.

I create this folder under my FTP side and upload the update_to_latest.php in that and follow the rest of your directions, right?

Just double checking, I know how it is to crash a board... lol thanks alot, too !!!
sniggitydiggity

Also, how important is this update? Do I really need it that bad?
tOnk3r

Post by tOnk3r »

When i say backup the forum i mean make a copy of your current forum folder on the server incase the changes go wrong, then you will still have a working version. Just copy it to a "backup" folder or something.

With the update_to_latest.php file you need to access the file by going to
www.yoursite.com/forum/install/update_to_latest.php
then delete the install folder and its contents.
sniggitydiggity

I see, thanks alot !!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”