Changing the default table prefix

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
dabster

Changing the default table prefix

Post by dabster »

I would like to change the default table prefix from phpbb to something else. :D

I'm wondering if I just copy the tables to the new names, change the config.php file to the new prefix and save it. Does this do it? Or do I need to "restart" phpbb so it looks to the new tables. I figure it phpbb reads the config file on startup, so if I don't restart it it may continue to look to the old tables.

Of course, I could just try it, but I figured it would be an easy question and since I couldn't find the answer doing a search....

Thanks!
flogger12

Post by flogger12 »

you can change the table prefix however you know how to do that, for instance using phpmyadmin, then yes, just change the table prefix in the config.php file to reflect the changes you made in the database and you will be fine.

robert
dabster

Post by dabster »

Thanks. So does phpbb then know the file is changed and needs to reload it? Just curious on how phpbb deals with the changing of the config.php file.

Thanks!
SnowManrcd

Post by SnowManrcd »

the file is read evertime a user visits the page to get he variables so it will refelct the changes as soon as you make them
-SnowMan
dabster

Post by dabster »

Thanks Snowman. I didn't know for sure that phpbb used this approach. Wanted to make sure I didn't lose anything before I did it.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”