Help needed with win2k/mysql/phpbb2 install - hit a wall...

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
fofusu

Help needed with win2k/mysql/phpbb2 install - hit a wall...

Post by fofusu » Tue Apr 19, 2005 10:40 pm

URL: not yet available
Template(s) used: none
Any and all MODs: none
Do you use a port of phpBB: nope
Version of phpBB: 2.0.13
Version of PHP: 4.3.10
Which database server and version: mysql 4.1.10
Host: localhost, win2k box
Did someone install this for you/who: nope
Is this an upgrade/from what to what: nope
Is this a conversion/from what to what: nope
Have you searched for your problem: yes
If so, what terms did you try: various mysql/win2000 terms
State the nature of your problem: i cannot get passed the first install page due to a mysql error (as described below)
Do you have a test account for us: not yet

so I installed all the components as outlined in this knowledgebase article - I browse the install.php over an internet connection (not lan) and after i fill in the required information on that first installation page, i receive the following:
Warning: mysql_connect(): Client does not support authentication protocol requested by server; consider upgrading MySQL client in ...phpbb\db\mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in ...phpbb\db\mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in ...phpbb\db\phpbb\db\mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

just FYI I am not proficient in mysql or php but i can admin an IIS box (for all thats worth :roll: )

using mysqlcc app, i am able to access the database attributes locally and set user rights; mysql service is running ... basically it looks ok...

so anyone know what i may be missing? im pretty sure its a mysql issue and not php or iis ... [/url]

arod-1

Post by arod-1 » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:11 pm

look at config.php in the forum root.
it should look something like:

Code: Select all

<?php

// phpBB 2.x auto-generated config file
// Do not change anything in this file!

$dbms = 'mysql4';  // this is what you should see if you use mysql 4.x

$dbhost = 'HOSTNAME';  // replace HOSTNAME with host name. typically, if db and http server are on the same host, it will be 'localhost'
$dbname = 'DB_NAME';  // replace DB_NAME with actual name of database
$dbuser = 'DBUSER'; // replace DBUSER with a user which has all privileges on said DB
$dbpasswd = 'PASSWORD'; // self explanatory

$table_prefix = 'phpbb_';  // you can change to something else, but there is not much point.

define('PHPBB_INSTALLED', true);

?>
the comments are mine, they do not typically appear in the file.
if you dont have the file - there is your problem.
i suspect the $dbms line had somehow mangled.
in any event, if this file does not look as expected, you know where to look for a solution. if it does - well, then you need someone better than i to help you....

except - one last thing: do you have the php_mysql php extension installed? if you are not sure, create and load one file, called phpinfo.php,
that looks like this:

Code: Select all

<?php
phpinfo();
?>

fofusu

Post by fofusu » Tue Apr 19, 2005 11:46 pm

the config.php is blank... i copied the code you listed minus your comments into the file and re-ran install but still received the same error

i ran phpinfo.php and under the mysql section, it looks like mysql support is enabled but there is no value for mysql.default_host, _password, _port, _socket, and _user

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Wed Apr 20, 2005 12:53 am

In my experience Fofosu, this is very likely a user and password problem with MySQL. You might want to try this simple possible fix.

1] Download and install the "MySQL Administrator" here (from the Graphical category): 2] Launch the Administrator and access the database under user "root".

3] In the upper left-hand window pane, select "User Administration". Create a new user and "Apply Changes" right away.

4] Select the "Schema Priviledges" tab, then your database and transfer all "available priviledges" to the "assigned priviledges" window for this user.

5] Apply changes.

6] Close the Adminstrator and edit your config.php file with the new user and password info.

7] Start the PHPBB install process again.

Hope this helps and good luck to you!

espicom

Post by espicom » Wed Apr 20, 2005 1:12 am

Third link in signature will help you with the MySQL problem.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer

fofusu

Post by fofusu » Thu Apr 21, 2005 1:07 pm

After reading the link on espicom sig, I flaked and uninstalled mysql 4.1 ... downloaded 4.0, installed and everything ran bootifully... no problems... i'm probably missing something by not having 4.1 but for now i dont care

thanks all for your help!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”