Can I make a phpBB board login-only before viewing forums?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
sm9

Can I make a phpBB board login-only before viewing forums?

Post by sm9 »

Hi there,

I work for an environmental charity, and we have a network of about 400 volunteers who do work for us. I've just downloaded and installed the latest version of phpBB (2.0.14) onto our linux web hosting (php and mysql 3.x), and I'm hoping we can use this as a place for them to log in to and chat/discuss their work.

One issue that I've just noticed is that by default, a member of the public can browse through the forums without needing to be logged in. Due to the sensitive nature of the work involved, we'd like to stop people from browsing the forums unless they are logged in.

Is there a way to do this? I know you can create private forums, but I'd rather find a different solution so we can save the private forums feature for private forums without a private board, if that makes sense! :lol:

An example of what I'm after can be seen at: http://www.luminous-landscape.com If you click the discussion forum link, it takes you to a login page (if you're not logged in) rather than to the forum index page. I've got my heart set on using phpBB though as I think it's the best forum around, so hope that I can make this possible.

Thank you for any help,

Stephen
tOnk3r

Post by tOnk3r »

admin panel > forum admin, permissions.

In there you can set what forums people are allowed to view, reply and post in. If you set every option to "REG" then the forum will only be viewable to registered members who are logged in.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

If you go to Admin control panel>forum admin>permissions you can set the forums to registered hidden.
That will mean as it says that only registered and logged in will be able to view them.
I always prefer to use the advanced mode in permissions - you can then see claerly what users may do.
Set view, post, reply to "Reg" and all should be ok.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
Petan_killer

Post by Petan_killer »

and if you want to allow see forums only users what you want, make usergroup yourself as usergroup moderatro :) and then put all user what you want to this group, in forum admin - permissions and in advanced see post, and other action set allow to (eh I think thi s word is private in english :) ) private. then go to usergroup admin - permissions and allow forum to this group ;)
sm9

Post by sm9 »

Big thanks to tOnk3r, Jim_UK and Petan_killer for your helpful replies, it now works a treat! :D

Thanks again,

Stephen
sm9

Post by sm9 »

Hi guys,

Sorry to drag this post up again, but I've came across a related problem that I wonder if anyone can help me with?

My forums are now set as Registered Hidden, so a member of the public can't see them when they log onto the website, which is great. However, a member of the public can still click the memberlist, see who is online, and see the usergroups.

Is there a way I can enable these links (and any other links I've not mentioned) for logged-in users only?

Thanks for any help,

Stephen

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”