google and my forum

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
geezmo

google and my forum

Post by geezmo »

i have my main index site and my forum is in a subdomain of the main site. in google, i have search results for my main site but i can't find any for my forum.

i even tried to check whether google has results for my forum by using google's advanced search and i placed my forum's URL and searched a term that is obvious in my forum but didn't see any result in google. whenever im logged in though, i always see the google bot as a visitor in the forum.

is there something i can do so that i can have google results for my forum?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

In my experience it seems to be one of those things that just takes time to happen. Took over 6 months for my site to show up on google. Oddly enough, it shot right up the rankings when I added google ads!
geezmo

Post by geezmo »

so i just have to wait then? still, im concerned cos my main site is already showing up in google but the forum itself isn't googled. i have both google ad sense in the main and the forum, by the way.
flogger12

Post by flogger12 »

where do you have the adsense placed on your board? that makes a difference, also, google doesn't like session IDs so that could be a problem.

there are articles here in the knowledge base about how to use adsense in phpbb.

robert
lurttinen
Translator

Re: google and my forum

Post by lurttinen »

geezmo wrote: i have my main index site and my forum is in a subdomain of the main site.

I read from somewhere, that google might not like subdomains.
Some sites had been completely removed from google, just because of some subdomains.

Have you tried to contact google about it and ask, why they dont list you?
tOnk3r

Post by tOnk3r »

The only reason i can think that google would drop sub domains is if they were only being used to back link to the top level domain.
Like if you have 500 subdomain.domain.com sites all full of links to www.domain.com they would drop the whole domain for being a cheater.

Google dosnt like dynamically generated pages. You could install a mod that will generate static html pages of your forum and threads, google will spider them a lot easier and you would have more chance of having entire threads showing up on google.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”