Redo forum???

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
akaine

Post by akaine » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:37 pm

Lets see if I got this straight

1. Make a backup of my forum in case something goes terribly wrong.

2. Download the latest version of phpbb

3. FTP it to my original forum folder.

4. Install it

5. Delete Everything but the original config.php file

Now is it possible just to install this in another folder so my current forum is still available? Or am I making this so much more difficult than necessary?

beatme101

Post by beatme101 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:41 pm

akaine wrote: Lets see if I got this straight

1. Make a backup of my forum in case something goes terribly wrong.

2. Download the latest version of phpbb

3. FTP it to my original forum folder.

4. Install it

5. Delete Everything but the original config.php file

Now is it possible just to install this in another folder so my current forum is still available? Or am I making this so much more difficult than necessary?

These steps are incorrect.
1. Backup your forum files, and backup your database.
2. Download the latest version of phpbb.
3. FTP it to your original forum folder, except do not upload the install and contrib folders, also do not upload the config.php file.
4. You are done.
If you have accidentally uploaded the config.php file over top of your existing one you can restore the one you have from the backup. If you ahve accidentally uploaded the install and contrib folders you can simply delete them.

ice11red

Post by ice11red » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:44 pm

The words you are using scare me, so let me go ahead and make you a list...

1. Back up your phpbb root folder. Deffintaly first thing incase something goes wrong.

2. Download the new phpbb

3. FTP into server and upload everything except the contrb and install folder and the config.php file.

4. When the first file that goes to upload thats already on the server ex..you upload index.php and you already have index.php on the server, you click overwrite. The only file being effected at that moment is index.php. Once its done upload the new file, whenever someone goes to www.yoursite.com/phpBB/index.php itll show the new file instead of old one. And as you go along overwriting each file then itll do the same thing.

Now, that is just if you want to return to the old style, but unforutnatly it doesnt delete any files you may not need. Other options would be to back up then delete everything except the phpbb/config.php file or maybe even upload the new phpbb as phpbb2, delete the contrib and install files, replace the config file with the one from the server, then rename the original phpbb folder to something else and then rename phpbb2 to the original phpbb name. Then delete the old php folder. (Hope that makes sense)

akaine

Post by akaine » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:45 pm

Thanks. I am creating my backup as we speak. Will have to do the other stuff later.

1 last question. I am still using php 2.015. Should I install the latest version first or won't this matter?

ice11red

Post by ice11red » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:49 pm

when backing up your files, make sure you have all of them. I know when I am downloading my phpbb root directory, its so big that after awhile my server disconnects me and makes it look like its finished when its not. So just make sure you have all the folders and everything looks ok.

ice11red

Post by ice11red » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:49 pm

akaine wrote: Thanks. I am creating my backup as we speak. Will have to do the other stuff later.

1 last question. I am still using php 2.015. Should I install the latest version first or won't this matter?

I dont think it matters what version of phpbb you use. I would use the latest though because it has security fixes.

beatme101

Post by beatme101 » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:50 pm

akaine wrote: Thanks. I am creating my backup as we speak. Will have to do the other stuff later.

Well, you can simply replace your files via my instructions, except DO upload the install folder, run update_to_latest.php, then delete the install folder. ;)

TMB

Post by TMB » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:52 pm

If you're replacing all the files with phpBB 2.0.16 anyway, why bother to upgrade first? This process will effectively upgrade the board (though you'll need to run the upgrade script).

akaine

Post by akaine » Tue Jun 28, 2005 3:54 pm

Thanks Everyone. I'll let you know what happens.

:D

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”