Failed sending email :: PHP ::

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Indians

Post by Indians » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:38 pm

Hello...

I am using

Windows XP Home Edition SP2
Abyss Web Server X1
PHP 5.0.4
MySQL Server 4.1

I have succesfully set up phpbb2 on my server and it works just fine, however.. when i hit register and enter all the info and hit submit, I get the following error

DEBUG MODE

Line : 234
File : emailer.php

*edit.. I have several hosted domains with outside servers, so in the config section of the admin panel I used mail.myserver.com for the SMTP settings, and created an account for forum reply. Still same problem.

This is my first attempt at running a server on my machine.. Could someone lend a hand? Thanks in advance

espicom

Post by espicom » Wed Jul 13, 2005 7:52 pm

When you do not use SMTP for sending email, you're dependent upon your host to have configured PHP to properly handle mail. Guess what? When you're doing your own server like this, that sucky job falls to you... :wink:

In the php.ini file, you will find a section on SMTP. Windows does not provide a sendmail command, so you need to provide SMTP information for a server that will not require any form of authentication or encryption.

Alternatively, if you have an SMTP server available to you that requires AUTH LOGIN authentication, you can configure that through the PHPBB Admin Control Panel. Encrypted SMTP servers, like gmail.com, won't work.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer

Indians

Post by Indians » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:11 pm

OK , so let me make sure I understand you

opening the php.ini file located in windows directory..

I own www.myserver.com

when asked for the smtp I entered mail.myserver.com

the default user was me@localhost I change it to forumreg@myserver.com

still same thing..

Am I missing something?

Sorry for not understanding =\

killerid

Post by killerid » Wed Jul 13, 2005 8:44 pm

What is the OS of ur hosting ? and do a test of server if the mailer service has failed or not.
My Favorite Webhosting with GD/RvSkins/RoR/PHP5 For Forums and All : http://www.a1whs.com , Costs only $1.55 :). | My Favorite Free Image Hosting : http://www.sbclansite.com Ads Free. My Favorite Directory : http://www.h-log.com

espicom

Post by espicom » Thu Jul 14, 2005 1:50 am

Is there an SMTP mail server at mail.myserver.com? Can your web server reach it (no firewall or other blocks between the web and SMTP servers)? Does the SMTP server "trust" the web server as a source of outbound mail? If not, does it require authorization to trust the web server long enough to send mail?

These are all questions that need to be answered, which can affect whether or not PHP (and PHPBB) can send mail.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP

UrbanIntensity

Post by UrbanIntensity » Fri Jul 22, 2005 3:53 am

I am having a similar issue. My server host is Yahoo Small Business. I have verified the settings for SMTP and required authentication information, but mass email is still giving the error

"Could not connect to smtp host : 65 : No route to host

DEBUG MODE

Line : 111
File : smtp.php"

Anything else I can try?

espicom

Post by espicom » Fri Jul 22, 2005 5:42 am

Could not connect to smtp host : 65 : No route to host

That means that the web server can't reach the SMTP server, most likely due to blocks imposed by someone along the line, assuming that the IP or name you gave PHPBB is valid.

A lot of hosts block SMTP traffic on their network unless it is headed towards one of their mail servers. If you try to connect to any other SMTP servers, you'll get a "no route to host" error.
Jeff

UrbanIntensity

Post by UrbanIntensity » Fri Jul 22, 2005 6:18 am

Thanks for the help.

Now, if I set it back to no smtp, it gives me a 'Failed sending email :: PHP ::' error. Tried several fixes for this, but nothing's working. Looked at my phpinfo.php file and it shows no sendmail_from value and the sendmail_path is broken (showing '/usr/sbin/sendmail -t -i').

I know I need to edit this in php.ini but I can't locate it on my server. Have looked in all of my php folders. Any ideas on where else I could find it?

espicom

Post by espicom » Fri Jul 22, 2005 7:41 am

Linux or Windows host?

If you have shell access (Telnet or SSH), you can run tests from the web server to see what's going on. Try using ping to reach the SMTP server; do you get responses? If yes, then you have SOME connectivity to the mail server.

Then try telnet mail.myserver.net 25 (substituting your mail server address for "mail.myserver.net"), and see if you get a connection. If it times out or gives you "no route", then your ISP is blocking mail traffic. Contact them to get their server information, and use it, because I do not think Yahoo will let you use the alternative SMTP port, 587.
Jeff

UrbanIntensity

Post by UrbanIntensity » Sat Jul 23, 2005 4:38 am

I pinged my mail server and it sent and received all 4 packets.

Tried the mail server info again, but still getting no connection. Attempting to contact Yahoo to get it resolved, but as yet have not received any response.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”