Bad Request error via Firefox only

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
mjpd1

Bad Request error via Firefox only

Post by mjpd1 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:05 pm

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Size of a request header field exceeds server limit.

Getting that error in Firefox ONLY, running phpbb 2.0.15. If I close out Firefox, and open it back up, the site will load fine and run for awhile. But eventually I'll get that Bad Request error again and have to shut down Firefox yet again. Site runs fine in IE.

The last change I made was to the search.php page. I renamed "search.php" to "search_old.php", and uploaded the 2.0.13 version of search.php. Was trying to regain the ability to search using a single * character. After receiving the first error, I deleted search.php, and renamed the original back to search.php. I don't see any reason why doing this would've implemented a lasting error such as this. Any ideas?

Coool

Post by Coool » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:09 pm

Firefox has a weird bug in it. that why i never use it :P btw, what your forum URL?

mjpd1

Post by mjpd1 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:29 pm

Well I've been using Firefox for probably a year or so now, and haven't ran into this problem before. Maybe I'll reinstall and see if that clears it up.

http://forum.mjpd.com

Alenônimo

Post by Alenônimo » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:38 pm

Coool wrote: Firefox has a weird bug in it. that why i never use it :P btw, what your forum URL?
Wich bug? I'm using it for aeons and nothing happened.

Coool

Post by Coool » Fri Jul 15, 2005 2:41 pm

Okay so theres a bug in HIS browser. in my firefox it works well. lol

mjpd1

Post by mjpd1 » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:18 pm

OK, just wanted to make sure it's just MY computer and not everyones :D Just seems weird that it picked today to start acting up :? I'll uninstall and reinstall Firefox. Thanks for the helps guys.

Alenônimo

Post by Alenônimo » Fri Jul 15, 2005 3:55 pm

mjpd1 wrote: OK, just wanted to make sure it's just MY computer and not everyones :D Just seems weird that it picked today to start acting up :? I'll uninstall and reinstall Firefox. Thanks for the helps guys.
Have a look for extensions for Firefox. If any of them are "misupdated" or "misprogrammed", may cause some crazy issues... The reinstallation or uninstallation of extensions can fix problems.

Letus2001

Post by Letus2001 » Wed Nov 30, 2005 8:47 am

well, we have the same problem :( Running phpBB 2.0.18 modded with cat_hierarchy 2.1.4 and some few others. Some users say they have this problem with IE 6 too, but 99% of users reporting this error are using Firefox (but the error doesnt show to all users with firefox, some are fine, some are not)

The important thing is, that this is happening only with this new version of phpBB, before I runned 2.0.6 modded and it was all OK, for everyone ! Now, two weeks after upgrade, I'm solving 5-10 bug reports of this error daily :( Why does it cause errors after version update ? Was something changed on cookie side ? And how it can cause errors on Firefox ? Bad bad browser, bad :)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”