Changing Hosts!!

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
humanbot

Changing Hosts!!

Post by humanbot » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:05 pm

I use phpBB on webhosting services and i want to migrate. what shld i do??

1. will restoring a backup at new server(both files and database) & changing mysql details in config.php work?

2. can i retain my users and threads in a new installation?

i know this question must have been answered a zillion times but whaen i tried searching i got a blank page and i certainly can not go through nearly 7000 pages...

looking for help...

Black Fluffy Lion
Former Team Member

Post by Black Fluffy Lion » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:14 pm

Yes and yes :)

It seems like you know what to do; just make sure that you check the backup of your database.

nuage

Post by nuage » Sat Jul 23, 2005 10:14 pm

Knowledge Base | Search!! | Auto Cookies MOD
Hate those arrogant people!
It's hard to tell that the world we live in is either a reality or a dream!
Hotel Rwanda! It's oscar-worthy!

humanbot

Post by humanbot » Sun Jul 24, 2005 9:48 am

i was trying to roll back my database at new webhost and sql fired an error its regarding latin charset in attachment table.
and shld the db name be same? like i have db abc at my current host will a db name bca at new host work??

i creatrd a backup using ACP and when i imported it on new host DB has 30 tables but my original DB has 38 tables. then i used export feature of the phpMyadmin and when i tried to imprt that DB it fired the error reported above...

thanks for replying!!!!!
if it matters: i used bigdump script to restore db

Black Fluffy Lion
Former Team Member

Post by Black Fluffy Lion » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:36 pm

The database name doesn't need to be the same, as long as you update the information config.php accordingly.

The reason for the difference in the number of tables is that phpBB's backup tool just backs up the tables of a default installation (unless you specify something in the additional tables field). Try using phpMyAdmin to restore the backup...

humanbot

Post by humanbot » Sun Jul 24, 2005 1:48 pm

thanks a ton..... i ll try and let you know...

thanks again!!!!!!!

humanbot

Post by humanbot » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:48 am

i tried using phpMyadmin to rollback my database backup. at new host i ve 4.1.22-standard earlier i was using 4.1.11-standard as there is only a minor vesion i guess both must be compatible. but when i tried to roll back i get this:
CREATE TABLE `phpbb_attach_quota` (
`user_id` mediumint( 8 ) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
`group_id` mediumint( 8 ) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
`quota_type` smallint( 2 ) NOT NULL default '0',
`quota_limit_id` mediumint( 8 ) unsigned NOT NULL default '0',
KEY `quota_type` ( `quota_type` )
) ENGINE = MYISAM DEFAULT CHARSET = latin1

Code: Select all

#1064 - You have an error in your SQL syntax.  Check the manual that corresponds to your MySQL server version for the right syntax to use near 'DEFAULT CHARSET=latin1' at line 25
this is the same error i got with big dump script i mentioned before.

what shld i do??

Peatminers

Post by Peatminers » Wed Jul 27, 2005 10:23 am

try removing the "default charset" on the end of the code you pasted here. This is a problem caused by the difference in phpmyadmin-versions.

It should work well without the argument in the sql.

humanbot

Post by humanbot » Wed Jul 27, 2005 2:31 pm

Thanks a ton i ll try that and let u know!!!

but heres another problem i installed the backup in a new database o db name to newdb now if i try to access my site it simply wants install/install.php as if nothing is installed i simply changed db name say frm abc to bcd in config.php!!!

whats the catch now??
Last edited by humanbot on Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

blackmagic911

Post by blackmagic911 » Wed Jul 27, 2005 4:34 pm

I'm having a hard time. I saved the database from my original forum, but it doesn't seem to want to go to my other one. I keep getting this error:

Not Acceptable
An appropriate representation of the requested resource /forum2/admin/admin_db_utilities.php could not be found on this server.

I looked in my ftp and the file is there.

humanbot

Post by humanbot » Wed Jul 27, 2005 8:08 pm

blackmagic911 wrote: I'm having a hard time. I saved the database from my original forum, but it doesn't seem to want to go to my other one. I keep getting this error:

Not Acceptable
An appropriate representation of the requested resource /forum2/admin/admin_db_utilities.php could not be found on this server.

I looked in my ftp and the file is there.
\

buddy its not a problem with your database neither with ur files its problem with ur server that is why i m here too... so ask ur webhost to sort that out

humanbot

Still not clickin....

Post by humanbot » Fri Jul 29, 2005 10:24 pm

Plz let me know what shld i do????

1) i need to change my host.ii copied all phpBB files and database and uploaded everything to new host. when i try to open it in my browser it simply displays a blank page since error repoting is on in php.ini the only reason i can think of is call to die(); but why is it so????

2) i created a new DB at my old host itself. and unrolled the backup of my original db on it. thus i ve a new database which is an image of my original database tough with different name. then i simply changed yje name of db in config.php(every other thing being the same). now when try to open my board in my browser it tries to find /install/install.php. now why is it so???

plz look in to the matter :!: :!: :!:

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”