Emailer.php Issue

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Tallaroo9

Post by Tallaroo9 »

Oops, I forgot about that line. Yes, Outlook Express is set up with my bluebottle address and I can send and receive my bluebottle email with it. Is there some way I can integrate the outlook express function with my forums or is that just to double check that I have the correct information?
Having problems restoring your database or changing forum hosts? <(Read this)>
Trouble logging in? Try the <(Auto Cookies Mod)> or <(Manual Cookie Setting Fix)>
Getting a blank page when you search?<(Read this)>
MOTOKO_KUSANAGI

Post by MOTOKO_KUSANAGI »

Tallaroo9 wrote: Oops, I forgot about that line. Yes, Outlook Express is set up with my bluebottle address and I can send and receive my bluebottle email with it. Is there some way I can integrate the outlook express function with my forums or is that just to double check that I have the correct information?

good hmm

i don't no y it's doing this then

i use to get that error but i do not no what fixed it hmm hmm

this is killing me you have the User email via board

Enabled
I'm the Major of Section 9
Tallaroo9

Post by Tallaroo9 »

I didn't originally have user email via board enabled. I just tried enabling user email via board and the settings SMTP no, SMTP yes with SMTP settings, SMTP yes with pop settings and no luck :( .
Having problems restoring your database or changing forum hosts? <(Read this)>
Trouble logging in? Try the <(Auto Cookies Mod)> or <(Manual Cookie Setting Fix)>
Getting a blank page when you search?<(Read this)>
jabbamonkey

Post by jabbamonkey »

My board was working fine, then I started to get this error. In an hour, the error messages stopped ... I assumed my webhost was running some maintenance, and the smtp server was temporarily down.

If your forum was working fine, and then you get these errors, I recommend contacting your webhost ... see if they changed anything recently ... and then see if they can change it back!
AusRef

Post by AusRef »

Surely it can't just be that so many people suddenly had their ISPs break their phpmail settings?

My users are getting this intermittently after posting as well now, as the server tries to send out reply notifications.
Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK »

Hi Guys
See this for a solution to your mailing problems.

http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=284610

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!
AusRef

Post by AusRef »

Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't change the fact that there appears to be a bug here that hasn't been acknowledged.
dakar

Post by dakar »

Mine did the same thing... but here's an easy way to see if there is a simple work around for you... If you are using a Linux based host (99.9% should be) and can shell in to your host.

Shell in using your account creditials. (ssh I hope)
once you are authenticated type see if sendmail is running on that host by telneting to localhost on port 25.

If you get a response like:

[machine]$ telnet localhost 25
Trying 127.0.0.1...
Connected to localhost.
Escape character is '^]'.
220 some.machine.com ESMTP

then sendmail is running on that server, change your ACP settings to use SMTP and for the host name just use "localhost" (no quotes) and leave the username password blank.

By default sendmail is configured to allow relaying of mail from itself being localhost or 127.0.0.1 Problem resolved, or at least worked around for now.

Or I suppose you could just make the setting changes and see if it works, but that would take the fun out of it for some folks.
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

AusRef wrote: Thanks for the tip, but it doesn't change the fact that there appears to be a bug here that hasn't been acknowledged.

What bug? phpBB uses the mail() function which needs to be set up by the host. If it is set up incorrectly, the whole thing will not work.
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs
AusRef

Post by AusRef »

So the fact that the mail() function is working fine in all my other scripts, and this probably has all of a sudden just cropped up for so many people at once means nothing?
Marshalrusty
Project Manager
Project Manager
Name: Yuriy Rusko

Post by Marshalrusty »

AusRef wrote: So the fact that the mail() function is working fine in all my other scripts, and this probably has all of a sudden just cropped up for so many people at once means nothing?

Nothing has suddently cropped up. If you search, you will find topics about this issue from 2 years ago.
I'll even prove it to you 2002
Have comments/praise/complaints/suggestions? Please feel free to PM me.

Need private help? Hire me for all your phpBB and web development needs

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”