newbie to PHP haven't got a clue !

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
OK-Hairdressing-United

newbie to PHP haven't got a clue !

Post by OK-Hairdressing-United »

hello to u all

i am new to this but i have seen a site which is a m8 of mine and she has a forum with u.

and i noticed that where u register and log in and log out she had other things on there like lottery, jobs, think it was down to a points system as when u make a post on her site u got points which i throuhgt was cool and i wanted one too she told me it was to hard and not to bother but i want one so bad just so i can have them features on.

i have already got forums but with someone else called excoboard

but this is my new thing i would like to do for hairdressing

i have just finished in college level 2 hair and beauty and throught it would be cool to have a forum as im now a full-time-mum.

so having forums is like a hobby of mine but im carefull on wot i go for

one thing is i do not have a clue how to use php

i went with a forum group called

but i want a real php forum so that y im on here.

i got told to get a domain name for my site

now i have another forum called

but now ive made a new one so i can add it to my new site with u

now i have downloaded

phpBB 2.0.17 [ Full Package ]

phpBB 2.0.17 [ Changed Files Only ]

phpBB 2.0.17 [ Patch File Only ]

but dont know where to go on from there so a little bit of help would be helpfull so i have

just so i can have a forum with points on and lottery and a jobs section on there just like my

thanks !
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

This explains how to install a phpbb forum
http://www.phpbb.com/support/tutorials/

You would need to use the full package files and chack that your host has the required php and SQL stuff to run the forum.
http://www.phpbb.com/support/documents. ... ll#require

A simple way to get the stuff your friend has would be to get them to download their entire phpbb folder from the server and send it to you.
Then you upload it (along with your own config file which has our database info in it). You would also need to get the install files from all the MODs (lotto etc) and run all the SQL commands they need to get the database bits sorted. That's just a guess though.

Alternatively, install the mods yourself. Not sure how useful they would be on a hairdressing forum though. You should consider MODs that would enhance the forum, not just having them for the sake of it.
OK-Hairdressing-United

thanx very much for your reply ill read through it all now

my m8 had someone do it for her and charged her to

i perfer to learn and do it myself so i can help others in the future who are in my place a newbie lol

ad thanks for ur advice to x

But im still having a problem. i have come to understand that my hosting company heartinternet.co.uk dost host and support all the requirements needed for install php but i still dont understand it

if there is anyone who knows how to do this and has a bit of spare time it would be greatfull if someone could do this for me as i have no special skills of programming HTML, or anything really i didnt think it would be this hard to do
OK-Hairdressing-United

pls i hope some one can help me
ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

Do wait at least six hours before bumping.

Try www.webhostingtalk.com to find a host that meets the requirements for phpBB.
No longer supporting phpBB. PM or email me regarding support and you will be ignored. I'm fully done with phpBB and everything.
gmex2006

Post by gmex2006 »

Of course, we can help. Try to install it on your own and wherever you are stuck just post your problem here and we will help you
OK-Hairdressing-United

ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

www.php.net
www.mysql.com
www.phpmyadmin.net

Those sites should help you better to install each one of the required things. phpMyAdmin is the best tool I know to manage a MySQL database. You'll probably need a PERL script but, I don't know exactly..
No longer supporting phpBB. PM or email me regarding support and you will be ignored. I'm fully done with phpBB and everything.
OK-Hairdressing-United

thank you gmex2006 u have boosted my confidence now and made me more determined to do this

and ScionCrow sorry if i sounded a bit rude b4 are they free to do as i have just payed for domains on heart ?

ill have a peek at them now
ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

To be honest, I have no idea.. my host provides them and so, I don't really know..
gmex2006

Post by gmex2006 »

Do not worry all of them are Open Source, hence free.
OK-Hairdressing-United

i was wondering do u have to be a programmer to be able to set ur own forum up if ur installing this php ?? as im not sure :roll:

i was watching the tutorials last nite and where they was taking the phpbb files and placeing it into the public/html file.

well im still trying to figure out how to do that would my public HTML file be on my host provider which would be heartinternet ?

just would like to know so i can figure it out.

ive looked on heartinertnet.co.uk

and found this out i have a free starter package.

http://www.heartinternet.co.uk/comparison-h.shtml

so im thinking i have to pay to get wot i need of heart.
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

No programming knowledge needed at all.

What you have to do is just upload the whole phpBB folder to your hosts site and point your browser at yoursite.com/phpBB/install/install.php and away you go.

You just need to take it step by step and follow the tutorials and instructions on the screen.

What you do need is FTP access to your site so you can upload in the first place and also the site must have the required PHP and SQL abilities.

Loooking at that link you've posted, the HOME deal is the minimum. It's the lowest one that has SQL available and also gives you FTP access.
OK-Hairdressing-United

is there a site which can do it for free or do i have to pay ?
If At First You Dont Succeed Try Try Again !

www.ok-hairdressing-united.co.uk
Vic D'Elfant
Former Team Member

Post by Vic D'Elfant »

We strongly advise you not to use free hosting providers; they are known to cause problems. However, if you do want to go with free hosting, try Google or freewebhostingtalk.com :)

Vic
midd.ag • DTP, web development & printing
http://www.midd.ag

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”