New admin for an existing board needs help

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
fanzing

New admin for an existing board needs help

Post by fanzing »

Hello,

I'm sure that somewhere there is a post addressing this, but I could not find it. I did a number of searches of the community forums but all my search terms brought up too many results.

Here's my situation: I am the new webmster for an existing site. I took over for the previous webmaster who set up the phpbb forum; I have never used phpbb before, but I've gone through the Flash tutorials and I don't anticipate any problems. However, I'd like some guidance, as I'd rather not screw up the forum and lose the existing messages or member information.

The previous webmaster did not give me admin authority, and he doesn't even remember how to log in. (He didn't do much beyond setting it up two years ago.) So I need a way to go in to the system and set myself up as the admin. I do have access to the server, of course.

One more question in this same thread, if you don't mind: it's been a while since the source code for the forum was updated, so do I want to download the Patch or the "New Files" version? I'm not sure what each one does. (That's probably a simple question, I know. I'm just in a hurry to get this fixed for my employer.)

Thank you for your help and your tolerance. :oops:
Michael Hutchison, Comic Book Writer
http://www.thehutch.com
wizard james

Post by wizard james »

right... anyways to the point u need admn power.. to get it.. use this tool

use this to change your statis to admin.. it also gives a few other extra things...
fanzing

To the point then

Post by fanzing »

Sorry if I was verbose.

Usually if I ask too simple a question, I get a dozen questions back wanting to know more about the situation. (i.e. Do I have access to the server, why can't the first guy just give me admin power, etc.)
-jm-
Former Team Member

Post by -jm- »

hi and welcome.

If you don't have ftp login and password you need to ask your host.
Database name, database login and database password could be retrieved from config.php file (download it and you are ok).

About upgrading.
database backup is the first thing to do.
Then
If your forum is hacked you need to replace all files with a clean copy ... rebuilding the staff choosing trusted people will be the next step (in the meanwhile you get rid of rogue admin and rogue mods promoted by lamers).
Otherwise you'll need to update with changed files only.

Then reapply latest version of installed MODs if there's any of them (2 years since now means 2.0.4 or below)
-jm- (a.k.a. juanm) - *NO* private support
Hacked?
With so many beautiful colors in the world it’s a shame to make everything black and white - Dennis R. Little
my links: tips&stuff :: stuff only
fanzing

Thank you JM!

Post by fanzing »

I do have FTP access, so I may be able to get access easily, then. Thanks!

The board was not hacked (that I know of) though it is now getting spammed, which is why I'm being urged to regain admin control of the board.

In evaluating phpbb, I have decided to set it up on my own personal site and replace my existing EZBoard. I hear tell that there's an EZBoard convertor, too, so I may not even lose all my data. That would be nice. (I'm doing searches on "EZBoard" and all I come up with is posts referring to the convertor's existence but no links, but I'm sure I'll find it.)

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”