How would I transfer my board if I were to switch my hosting

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
exilera

How would I transfer my board if I were to switch my hosting

Post by exilera »

I'm thinking of switching hosting companies. What would I need to do to transfer all of my modifications, posts, user accounts, etc to the new board, and would I need to perform a completely new install with the new host?

Thanks!
David
fanzing

Your current host?

Post by fanzing »

I'm sure it would help the responders if you would tell them your current host.

I know there are convertors for various other hosts; knowing which one you are moving from will help them to point you to the right convertor.

For instance, I'm currently hosted by EZBoard and I'm trying to find the EZBoard convertor. (I can't find it, for some reason, though I can find numerous posts saying that it exists.)
Michael Hutchison, Comic Book Writer
http://www.thehutch.com
who_cares

Post by who_cares »

you need a backup of all your files as well as your database
you simply upload the database to the new host along with all the files, edit config.php appropietly, and edit the domain and cookie settings
exilera

Re: Your current host?

Post by exilera »

fanzing wrote: I'm sure it would help the responders if you would tell them your current host.

I know there are convertors for various other hosts; knowing which one you are moving from will help them to point you to the right convertor.

For instance, I'm currently hosted by EZBoard and I'm trying to find the EZBoard convertor. (I can't find it, for some reason, though I can find numerous posts saying that it exists.)

I'll be switching from Yahoo! Small Business hosting...
exilera

Post by exilera »

who_cares wrote: you need a backup of all your files as well as your database
you simply upload the database to the new host along with all the files, edit config.php appropietly, and edit the domain and cookie settings

So I can backup via the admin panel? Is there any documentation, or would you be able to tell me what I'd need to edit in the config.php file, and where I'd edit the domain and cookie settings?

Thanks for the respones.
fanzing

Oops!

Post by fanzing »

I may have misunderstood. I thought you were converting from a different type of board; I see now you're talking about moving an EZBoard from one host to another. My apologies.
Michael Hutchison, Comic Book Writer
http://www.thehutch.com
jasonlwright

Post by jasonlwright »

I would export the database using phpMyAdmin if you have it available and then re import it on your new server the same way. Just export all of the phpbb_ tables with data. In your config.php file you will need to change your database settings as well as the root directory of your board. Also, I would lock the board on your old server during the transition just to insure that you don't lose any new posts.
who_cares

Post by who_cares »

exilera wrote:
who_cares wrote:you need a backup of all your files as well as your database

So I can backup via the admin panel? Is there any documentation, or would you be able to tell me what I'd need to edit in the config.php file, and where I'd edit the domain and cookie settings?

Thanks for the respones.

you could use the ACP but phpmyadmin would be better
ScionCrow

Post by ScionCrow »

Although for un-modified forums, you can view this article on how to transfer your forum from host-to-host.
No longer supporting phpBB. PM or email me regarding support and you will be ignored. I'm fully done with phpBB and everything.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”