quick? question..

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Darana

quick? question..

Post by Darana » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:28 pm

2. unpack the zip(s) and place the files in their own directory in the /templates/ directory inside your phpBB2 directory. if your server is online somewhere, then you'll first need to unpack to a directory, then upload it to your server (Make sure that the folder has exactly the same name (case sensitive) as the cfg and css file. courtesy of black fluffy lion)

alright I found that reading on how to install styles. The only problem is, I haven't figures out and cannot find anything that says how to 'unpack to a directory.' Yes, you can probably tell I am new at this. But I do have a URL and all that.

http://s2.phpbbforfree.com/forums/index ... htsofelune

I used to use Forumer, but then I figured out you couldn't install custom styles going through forumer? So I chose this. (Couldn't find anything saying I couldn't..so...)

Anyway, I seen the Flash Tutorial up to where it says, "At this point, we will assume that you have already uncompressed your download on your hard drive. The first thing to do is upload all the files to your server."

This is where I'm lost, as I didn't know I had a server? And yes, I did uncompress the phpBB2, it's in My Documents, is that alright?

gmex2006

Post by gmex2006 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 8:34 pm

Hi Darana,

If I am not mistaken you cannot install your own phpbb skins, but you can choose your skin from those provided by phpbb for free.

Gmex

Darana

Post by Darana » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:01 pm

Then whats the point of downloading different styles under the 'Styles' link on this website? ><

stickerboy
Former Team Member
Name: Kenny Cameron

Post by stickerboy » Mon Sep 26, 2005 9:04 pm

you;re on a free host. they have nothing to do with this website.
i'd contact them to see if they can install styles/mods for you ;)
I'm a web-designing code-decrypting tech-support musician
|| Twitter || Flickr || phpBB Snippets ||
Formerly known as cherokee red

beatme101

Post by beatme101 » Mon Sep 26, 2005 11:15 pm

The point of downloading them is for people who have a REAL phpbb forum. That is to say, the people who actually have access to the files and database. Your host does not give you that access. You should consider switching hosts before you become so attached to that host that you cannot leave (they do not let you backup your database so once you have posted you can't move them anywhere else).

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”