How much space do user uploaded avatars take?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
DMartin

How much space do user uploaded avatars take?

Post by DMartin »

I'm wondering if I should allow users to upload avatars. My site is fairly limited on space - only 30 mb - and I'm thinking that it probably is NOT a good idea to allow uploaded avatars. The only problem is - though most of my users probably have access to space on the web - they don't all know HOW to use it.

Any suggestions?
DeAnne Martin
WebUser

Post by WebUser »

30 mb is too small, if you let them upload, you will die soon .
You can register an account at t35.com and make a script to upload there , with cgi . Then let them use the url to there .
Jante

Post by Jante »

Considering that each avatar isnt that large, then sure you can allow avatar uploads.. You can set a max size limit in the admin panel -> general admin -> config.

And it also depends on the amount of users you think you will be getting.
nathan
Former Team Member

Post by nathan »

The average avatar is probably well under 15k. That means you could fit 2000 of them in your 30mb..
Nathan Codding
old-school phpBB developer
theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn »

Our avatar dir here is currently 767kb...under 1 mb :) You should be fine with 30mb.. :)
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net
DMartin

Post by DMartin »

OK - thanks. I guess I will allow them then - if THIS site is using less than 1mb for avatars - then I'm sure I won't have a problem. I only currently have just over 100 users - but hope to have a lot more in the future.
DeAnne Martin
ralniv

Post by ralniv »

It's totally under your control. The Admin Panel has a setting for the maximum size an uploaded avatar can be. My site is set at 9k per image max, but 7.5k should an ample allotment.

Unless you have a lot of registered users, then I wouldn't really worry about avatars causing a problem.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”