Can't get past forum index. Page cannot be displayed.

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Franey

Can't get past forum index. Page cannot be displayed.

Post by Franey »

URL: http://restmusic.com/forum & http://restmusic.com/Snowshoe
Template(s) used: None
Any and all MODs: None
Do you use a port of phpBB: ??
Version of phpBB: 2.0.4
Version of PHP: ??
Which database server and version: MySQL
Host: IPowerWeb.com
Did someone install this for you/who: Installed fromIPowerWeb.com management interface
Is this an upgrade/from what to what: No
Is this a conversion/from what to what: No
Have you searched for your problem: Yes
If so, what terms did you try: "Page cannot be displayed"
State the nature of your problem: Periodical error viewing forum
Do you have a test account for us: No

I am running two very basic forums on my webserver, which is hosted by a popular (not free) third party hosting service. At times, I get a "Page cannot be displayed" error when I, or any of the users, try to access these forums. Sometimes, the forum index cannot be viewed. Other times, only the actual threads cannot be viewed. When one forum is down, the other is always down simultaneously. However, sometimes at different levels (index level vs thread level). I have written my webhost's technical staff twice on this issue and they have chosen to disregard my questions. In every case so far, over the last two years, the problem has fixed itself within 24 hours. This problem occurs once every month or so, usually for a whole day. Sometimes it happens more frequently. It is driving me insane.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what might cause this error?
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

Version of phpBB: 2.0.4

Before you do anything, you should upgrade. You're 13 versions behind the current 2.0.17 and you have serious security holes.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
Franey

forum

Post by Franey »

Unfortunately, I do not have any kind of shell access to my account, so I cannot execute anything. I might think about switching hosts down the road, but it hasn't been a major issue until now.

As for upgrading, there is an option on the IPowerWeb's administration panel to upgrade to version 2.0.10, but I'm currently getting the same "Page Cannot be Displayed" error when I try to upgrade. I'll wait until it is back up and then perform the upgrade. However, this makes me wonder if the upgrade will fix the problem. Thanks for the help. Let me know if you have any other ideas.
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: forum

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Franey wrote: Unfortunately, I do not have any kind of shell access to my account, so I cannot execute anything. I might think about switching hosts down the road, but it hasn't been a major issue until now.

As for upgrading, there is an option on the IPowerWeb's administration panel to upgrade to version 2.0.10, but I'm currently getting the same "Page Cannot be Displayed" error when I try to upgrade. I'll wait until it is back up and then perform the upgrade. However, this makes me wonder if the upgrade will fix the problem. Thanks for the help. Let me know if you have any other ideas.

you don't need shell access to do anything, just ftp access.

2.0.10 is as bad or worse than 2.0.4

if you are going to upgrade , do it right and get the current version to be save.
if not, you WILL be hacked sooner rather than later.

anyway, upgrading may or may not fix the problem because it sounds like a database problem.

also, Ipowerweb has probably the worst rep for being able to use phpbb successfully and for tech support.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: forum

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Franey wrote: Unfortunately, I do not have any kind of shell access to my account, so I cannot execute anything. I might think about switching hosts down the road, but it hasn't been a major issue until now.

you don't need shell access to do anything, just ftp access.

2.0.10 is as bad or worse than 2.0.4

if you are going to upgrade , do it right and get the current version to be save.
if not, you WILL be hacked sooner rather than later.

anyway, upgrading may or may not fix the problem because it sounds like a database problem.

also, Ipowerweb has probably the worst rep for being able to use phpbb successfully and for tech support.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?
Franey

phpbb

Post by Franey »

I'll see what I can do through FTP. Thanks for the support.
Thallium

Post by Thallium »

The main problem with ipowerweb seems to be they have this insane idea we should be running phpbb as a cgi... if you don't do it, just move it out of the cgi-bin when they aren't looking, it should work as well as most servers.

The other thing... one click installs are Never that, they are more hassle than worth, and in this case horrendously outdated. Download the latest from here, install it to your server in a regular directory, and all should be good.

---Thallium
Complete phpBB powered websites, Mods/Hacks installed, unique templates, updates and repairs... reasonable. Email, PM or IM.
Franey

upgrading phpbb

Post by Franey »

There are no phpbb files in my cgi-bin folder. If I have no access to execute/run files on the IPowerWeb server, how can I upgrade to the latest version. The upgrade instructions read "You should now run install/update_to_latest.php which, depending on your previous version, will make a number of database changes." Is this something I can actually do? I'm sorry if I am terribly ignorant on the subject.
jwunderly

Re: upgrading phpbb

Post by jwunderly »

Franey wrote: The upgrade instructions read "You should now run install/update_to_latest.php which, depending on your previous version, will make a number of database changes."

That means to point your browser to http://{YOUR_DOMAIN}/{FORUM_ROOT}/install/update_to_latest.php.
John (A cranky old man. "Looking for an echo ...")
using any control-panel install/update is like shooting yourself in the foot. It won't kill you, but you're really going to hobble around until it heals.
Using the wrong tools (Front Page, DreamWeaver) gives the same results
Do not PM me for Support!
Franey

ahhh

Post by Franey »

I got you. I'll do that. Sorry, again, for my igorance. We all have to start somewhere I guess.
jwunderly

Re: ahhh

Post by jwunderly »

Franey wrote: I got you. I'll do that. Sorry, again, for my igorance. We all have to start somewhere I guess.

If that is your worst mistake, that you're doing very well, indeed.
John (A cranky old man. "Looking for an echo ...")
using any control-panel install/update is like shooting yourself in the foot. It won't kill you, but you're really going to hobble around until it heals.
Using the wrong tools (Front Page, DreamWeaver) gives the same results
Do not PM me for Support!
Franey

upgraded

Post by Franey »

OK, my forums came back up. I upgraded them to version 2.0.17, which I now see is not the latest version. However, my problem was not solved. My forums are down again. I opened a ticket with IPowerWeb and was told that it is not a server-side problem and there is nothing that they can do. I no little about mySQL databases, but it seems like it could be a database issue to me. Having originally created the forum and database with the click of a button in cpanel, I don't think that I have access to the database itself. Please correct me if I am wrong. I called IPowerWeb and told the billing department that my problem didn't seem to be on my end and I wanted to resolve it. I told them that I wanted to change webhosts and they said they would refund my money, as I am paid up until April. I have to say, this has been the one time that they have impressed me!

Anyway, I don't want to assume that they are wrong and I am right, because that is an easy way to shoot yourself in the foot. Any more ideas would be welcomed!
The Techboy

Post by The Techboy »

iPowerWeb sucks, just move to another host, no?

It's quite obviously a problem on their side that your site goes down randomly.
Eat recycled food. It's good for the environment and OK for you.
Franey

Post by Franey »

It just seems odd that my site never goes down, but my forums do frequently. The fact that they come back up without my assistance leads me to believe that the problem is on their side.
iPowerWeb sucks, just move to another host, no?

I won't argue with that statement.

Does anyone have a preference for cheap web-hosting services. I've asked this on web-hosting forums, but the funny thing about the web-hosting forums... there seem to be alot of web hosts talking on them. Since my forums make up 90% of the bandwithdth on my little dinky site, this may be the better place to ask the question.
The Techboy

Post by The Techboy »

PowWeb is what a friend of mine uses -- it's a nightmare to get set up but good once it is apparently (or however it is spelled.)
Eat recycled food. It's good for the environment and OK for you.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”