Can't register user - email address already used?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
ianhoyle

Can't register user - email address already used?

Post by ianhoyle »

my platform:

Windows 2000
Apache apache_2.0.39-win32-x86-no_ssl
PHP php-4.2.2-Win32
MySQL mysql-3.23.51-win

my problems:

I've created, blown away, recreated etc my phpBB environment several times. This means I delete the complete mysql\... tree including the database used by phpbb and all phpbb related files under htdocs on my web server - then I reinstall everything.

I'm getting some strange behaviour:
  • When I try to register the same user as in a previous installation, I get the error "Sorry but that email address is already registered to a user". This is even when I create a completely new mysql database!!! Where would these old details be stored so I can really nuke them??
    I have to press logout twice?
I love the software, but these issues are driving me nuts :)
Black Fluffy Lion
Former Team Member

Post by Black Fluffy Lion »

The email is stored in your db in phpbb_users-->user_email.

'Apache apache_2.0.39-win32-x86-no_ssl)'

(thanks for giving all the server info btw :) )

apache 2's support for php doesn't work properly, this could well be your problem. Try using Apache 1.3: http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=27123
scottyman

Post by scottyman »

you're running much the same config as me... I've found that there appears to be a serious caching issue between 2.039 and 2.0.40, php and mysql under 2000 - which is why it's not recommended! ;)

try firepages.com.au to get phpdev4 - prebuilt binaries with 1.3xxx (latest secured build, php 4.2.2 mysql etc) I've got both running on my development box - phpdev4 much more stable - but dev5 with 1.3xxxx apache build is almost perfect. mod_perl is missing in the latest build, but that's not too bad.

what appears to be happening is php is caching information from mysql and not refreshing - but in my seperate phpdev4 build - same versions of php and mysql - behaviour is not displayed.

Scotty
I love deadlines. I like the whooshing sound they make as they fly by.
- Douglas Adams RIP

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”