My Install: Success, finally!

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
RancerDS

My Install: Success, finally!

Post by RancerDS »

This post is for general reference of how my install proceeded, what some of the obstacles were and what definately works (or doesn't).

A previous install of phpBB2 was successful using Apache 2.0.54 (on Win32), PHP 5.0.4 and Microsoft Access '97. The only drawback that was felt was only 5 concurrent users at one time would be allowed or viable.

Not having any MS variety of SQL, I then opted to retry MySQL. While doing the a custom post-install configuration, I hoped the choices for settings were correct. There really wasn't much information easily found for that aspect. What the choices where that did work was "Server" (not Developer or Dedicated MySQL Server options), "Multi-purpose or General Database", running MySQL as a dedicated Windows NT/XP service, checking the box to allow Command Line Instructions (CLI) through Windows OS and for the "root" username, to have the password left blank.

Initially, the error I'd received was something akin to "PHP does not work with the database". It was time to revert to an earlier version of PHP in hopes that would resolve it. After some searching, I'd downloaded PHP 4.4.1. Indeed it did get me further, but gave 3 particular errors to one PHP file. Without really understanding PHP, it was time to try updating any and all configuration files. I'd switched choices from the default to recommended php.ini, updated the httpd.conf under Apache 2 and and reviewed the my.ini file for MySQL. During the research for better understanding the process, I'd happened upon a very useful link, as follows: http://www.devside.net/web/server/windows/phpBB

Naturally, the uploading of the phpBB2 files is a critical step, but I am doing the install on my own computer, not uploading across the 'Net. So there isn't a good option to upload FTP to the local host that I know of without running an FTP server. More detail to follow on some of the results in this area. Finally, I'd gotten everything as needed. The only other thing I did, which may or may not have made the final difference, was to update the main PATH under the Windows Environment Variables (through Control Panel -> System -> Advanced Tab) to access the MySQL\DATA diretory where the database was stored.

The final error had been "phpBB2: Critical Error" and "Could not access the database". This was where inserting the path and using root login without password in the install.php was important. Also, to note, PHP 4 files from the DLL and SAPI directories need to be copied to the base PHP folder (usually named C:\php\). Also, from a helpful standpoint, be sure than any directory references in Apache 2 are using forward-slashes typical in UNIX versus the back-slashes of Windows.

And WA LAH! 5 or more hours late I was up and running. Except this is probably no more than a 1.5 to 2 hour install for everyone else. :) It is hoped that anyone installing fresh with a similiar set of circumstances will find this useful. Be sure to create a database in the MySQL CLI, choose it for use and then quit out. And for any changes in httpd.conf to take effect, the Apache 2 server needs to be restarted.

The FTP Experience
You can find lots of choices for setting up a temporary or even permanent FTP server. There are the freeware packages, the shareware or demos or the more wealthy of us could have purchased a product. It doesn't really matter, because you still need the FTP client. Ultimately, I'd downloaded and used the Ability FTP Server and Core FTP client.

Unfortunately, I'd found one called Golden FTP which was touted as freeware when Googling. I'd followed the download link, which took me to a C-Net server. After downloading, my anti-virus detected a trojan/worm virus in the zip file. So be alert for this when looking to install any package. Then I'd opted for one called NetFILE FTP Server from Fastream. It was virus free, but when trying to use it, it wouldn't allow me to change the tabs in the GUI to set up the FTP access. This may or may not have been my fault as the Apache 2 server was running and NetFILE also handles HTTP services.[/u]
KevC
Support Team Member
Support Team Member

Post by KevC »

You might want to downgrade your php from 5 to 4.
phpBB isn't php5 compatable so you might run into some glitches.
-:|:- Support Request Template -:|:-
Cheap UK Hosting
"In the land of the blind the little green bloke with no pupils is king - init!"
RancerDS

Post by RancerDS »

As indicated, I did successfully install using the PHP version 4.4.1 on MySQL. But for reference sake, yes, it worked with PHP 5 when used with MS Access '97.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”