Using Phpbb as a members only site

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
ybot_ca

Using Phpbb as a members only site

Post by ybot_ca » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:20 pm

I have a client that has asked me to find a cheap and simple bulliten board or intranet software to use as a members only area.

So far the closest thing i could find to a members only area is phpbb and placing it in a non advertised folder such as www.clientsdomain.com/phpbb that would not hae any external links to it.

Is there a way to set up phpbb so that only members can view and reply to postings?

My client eventually wants a BB system that will have some public and some members only forums (with members only forums not viewable by the public)

Pad

Post by Pad » Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:24 pm

You can set up permissions for all your sections with the admin panel.
Easily define which members (public, registered, special) can access what areas. :wink:

juliekate

Post by juliekate » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:46 pm

Also look into VisionGate if you want to pay for membership subscription - this site includes a phpbb integration module.

ybot_ca

Thanks for your suggestions

Post by ybot_ca » Fri Nov 25, 2005 7:58 pm

The site that i am looking to set up is for a new non profit support group, so the ablity to charge membership is not a priority.
The site will be a center for discussions and transfer of files to other members of the initial start up group. at this time they have minimal funding and asked me to help them set up an Intranet, I could not find much free Intranet programs, so a friend suggested I set them up with a private Bulliten board such as phpbb.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Thanks for your suggestions

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Nov 25, 2005 8:05 pm

ybot_ca wrote: The site that i am looking to set up is for a new non profit support group, so the ablity to charge membership is not a priority.
The site will be a center for discussions and transfer of files to other members of the initial start up group. at this time they have minimal funding and asked me to help them set up an Intranet, I could not find much free Intranet programs, so a friend suggested I set them up with a private Bulliten board such as phpbb.

give the User Guide
a look. it will explain how to set this up.

you can also restrict access to everything , even the first page, to members only.

there is a MOD to do this once you have it installed.
if you decide to charge for memberships there is MOD to do that as well.

phpBB is completely customizeable with hundreds of MODs ( modification scripts) already developed and available for download.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”