phpbb2 crashed with netscape

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
gameofhit

Post by gameofhit » Sun Dec 16, 2001 5:46 am

elanjeff wrote: If there's one thing I've learned from over 20 years of using BBSs, it's that writing a lot of messages does not mean that someone isn't a lamer. A message that does nothing but spout an opinion that is pointless and insults the person asking the question, no matter if it's posted by someone with 10,000 messages or 10, is the sort of thing that's going to make any sensible reader think "lamer!!!" whether it is true or not.

I agree with this. But, there are a few things that people should look for. Obviously, Pit has enough posts that if he were a real lamer, he would have been gone by now. People here just won't use their patience to deal with jackasses.

Pit also has his special rank and rank image, which work the other way, showing that he is a bit of a clown, and obviously should be taken with a grain of salt. But really, if you think about it, he never would have stuck around with his thousand posts or so if we didn't love the bastard. Clown he may be, he is fun to keep around. And Pit never goes off on anyone that he doesn't know well... and when he does that, its a joke, and they know it. So I think that the post you made was really less useful than the one he did. (although I admit that I have been very tempted to make similar ones, especially when I had a crappy day)

I guess the main thing that I have gotten used to since becoming a forum junkie is this: Nothing matters, emotionally. Things written always come off different than they are supposed to, so don't let it piss you off. It's just not worth it. At the very least, just ignore the stupid posts. Let the mods take care of it, and look forward to the day that you hold the mighty smiting stick of the mod. or the Ãœber-zappy stick of the admin ;)

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG » Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:40 pm

Just for clarification, I don't think this is about whether we like Pit or whether Pit deserves this or that. I like Pit. I appreciate Pit humor and sarcasm most of the time. I'm very happy that Pit is here and that Pit sticks around.

At the same time, after 16 years of BBSing, I see truth in what cyberspace senior elanjeff is saying. I think there are and were better ways to be helpful to Webuser. If these forums are really for the insiders alone, the well-liked, the people who no longer use NN 4, and so on -- if that alone makes their posts more useful, that's not really in the interests of community and open source and phpBB.

That's all I have to say about that.
We should talk less, and say more.

WebSnail

Post by WebSnail » Sun Dec 16, 2001 7:55 pm

SamG wrote: (snippety)If these forums are really for the insiders alone, the well-liked, the people who no longer use NN 4, and so on -- if that alone makes their posts more useful, that's not really in the interests of community and open source and phpBB.

I suppose that's true enough, but looking at the forum as a whole I have to say that on the majority of occasions this forum manages to help pretty much everyone without going completely off the deepend which I've seen happen in a LOT of other forums... :?

That and we all have our "off days" :oops:

SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG » Sun Dec 16, 2001 8:04 pm

Agreed. That's absolutely so.

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX » Sun Dec 16, 2001 8:28 pm

elanjeff wrote: Like I said before, let's get back to the issue at hand: phpBB2.[/b] If these pointless tangents delay the release of the full RC-1 version by even an hour, I'm gonna be POed! :)

Every single last post on this and the old forum delay the release of 2.0 ;) My very reply to your posts here is preventing me doing some BBCode/FAQ related stuff ... best stop everyone posting ;) and :D

Shantra

Post by Shantra » Mon Dec 17, 2001 2:54 am

Here comes another post from a "newbie"!

Off topic:
The first time I visited this forum I felt that I was not welcome. Ok, I posted some questions in the wrong forum and forgot to search (big mistake), but I have finally learned the rules :D
The first time I read a post from Pit, I wondered what kind of marsian he was, but I realy like him now :wink:
PS! I was not very in too boards like this before I visited phpBB!!

On topic:
I have had many problems with my IE 6.0/win98 crashing here at this board. I found out that (with a little help) that is was some of the sigs that did it since the browser only crashed in some of the topics.

SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG » Mon Dec 17, 2001 4:00 am

I'm a little confused as to the cause. I gave up on IE for a bit and used Opera, which never seemed to be smart enough to crash or something. But now I'm trying something with IE -- switching off "Always send URLs and UTF-8." Why am I trying this? I wish I knew ...

WebSnail

Post by WebSnail » Mon Dec 17, 2001 4:05 am

SamG wrote: I'm a little confused as to the cause. I gave up on IE for a bit and used Opera, which never seemed to be smart enough to crash or something. But now I'm trying something with IE -- switching off "Always send URLs and UTF-8." Why am I trying this? I wish I knew ...

I think you'll find it's because it's one of those cases where..
"It doesn't have to make sense to work... It just has to work!" :)

SamG
Former Team Member

Post by SamG » Mon Dec 17, 2001 4:08 am

I can only hope :)

Edit: Well, I can now say for sure that my idea was stupid, my experiment a failure ...

Teach

Post by Teach » Mon Dec 17, 2001 5:16 am

WebSnail wrote: Just a small friendly tip for future ref's... It might be worth taking a quick peek at the number of posts a person has under their belt before assuming that they're just a lamer... ;)

elanjeff wrote: A message that does nothing but spout an opinion that is pointless and insults the person asking the question, no matter if it's posted by someone with 10,000 messages or 10, is the sort of thing that's going to make any sensible reader think "lamer!!!" whether it is true or not.

I wholeheartedly agree with elanjeff. I feel that, while some people post mostly useful "information bits," others post mostly useless "overhead bits" that do little other than increase their post count. That's why a lot of people look for forums that have an "ignore" feature. :!:

This is nothing personal against anyone in particular, but it seems to me that, on every forum I've ever visited, there are a few users who can't help but post some kind of reply to nearly every topic that comes along, even though they usually have nothing of value to post. :?

However, in forums like these, that have a specific task to accomplish and many, many new messages to keep up with every day, I expect the signal-to-noise ratio to be higher than it is in a strictly fun forum. That's why I, for one, really appreciate those users who have the self-control to wait until they have something useful to post. :D

DK

Post by DK » Mon Dec 17, 2001 1:05 pm

well my IE 5.0 crashed 5 times trying to reply to this post :P

oppress or conform, those are your options!

D K

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit » Mon Dec 17, 2001 3:44 pm

My point was supposed to be that it is probably a netscape bug, not a phpbb bug. Therefore I would contend that it was relevant, albeit possibly not very clear.
Although I would be interested in hearing your opinion, elanjeff, on how your post helped, and how it did anything other than decrease the value of this thread to the person who is having the problem.
super fun rainbow colour sig

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”