Can't get Enable Visual Confirmation- can anyone help?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
espicom

Post by espicom »

You must have lines missing from your admin/admin_board.php script. Make sure you have the following lines:

Code: Select all

$confirm_yes = ($new['enable_confirm']) ? 'checked="checked"' : '';
$confirm_no = (!$new['enable_confirm']) ? 'checked="checked"' : '';

"CONFIRM_ENABLE" => $confirm_yes,
	"CONFIRM_DISABLE" => $confirm_no,
You can also try this query, which is what is built by the program for enable_confirm, in phpmyadmin, to see if it generates an error:

UPDATE phpbb_config SET
				config_value = '1'
				WHERE config_name = 'enable_confirm';
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer

MCPB

Post by MCPB »

I do have the 4 lines in my admin_board.php script.

and when I ran the SQL I got this:

Affected rows: 0 (Query took 0.0004 sec)  
SQL query: 
UPDATE phpbb_config SET config_value = '1' WHERE config_name = 'enable_confirm'  

espicom

Post by espicom »

And you've already uploaded a fresh copy of the admin/admin_board.php script, and its related TPL files, taken directly from the 2.0.18 install archive, to see if they work?

What is not happening on your system should be happening, assuming that the template doesn't have something screwed up in it. Something as simple as the wrong case on the HTML variable will do it, because the "enable_confirm" value will never be seen by the server.

Also, you've never addressed whether or not the Visual Confirmation image has appeared for your registration - only that you can't set it in the control panel. Right now, it is turned on in the database; it should be appearing to new registrants.
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP

MCPB

Post by MCPB »

what related TPL should I copy over fresh? i'll give that a try.

And no the image in the registration page does not show. I would not mind if the ACP said no and the Visual Confirmation worked right. I just want it to work.

Thanks & Merry Christmas everyone!

espicom

Post by espicom »

Off the top of my head, I can't tell you, but the names of the template files affected are in the knowledge base article I wrote on it, Check for Visual Confirmation support in your templates. I think you've already read that.
Jeff

MCPB

Post by MCPB »

I ran your template_check.php and got this:

Style 'subSilver' supports Visual Confirmation for registration, supports Visual Confirmation configuration option.
Thats all it said.

espicom

Post by espicom »

Yes, but the kind of error I'm suspecting at this point would be subtler than what the script in the KB article checks for. It only makes sure that the template refers to Visual Confirmation; it doesn't check that it is 100% correct, because templates vary too much.

What I suspect is happening is that the variables being passed in the template are either spelled incorrectly, or have a different CaSe than what is expected.
Jeff

MCPB

Post by MCPB »

In the 4 lines of code you had me look up before, if the are 100% the same then it should work? or are their more lines dealing with the VC that I need to look up?

paulburgman

Post by paulburgman »

Thanks fellas that solved my problem
Kind regards

Paul Burgman
www.f8andbethere.com

NjRocket8

Post by NjRocket8 »

Hey guys, i'm having a similar problem. On my site, www.njrocket8.profusehost.net/forums , when you try to register, there is a blank box to type in the visual confirmation code but the picture above is blank. It shows up as a blank error box as a picture and i went to view image real quick and it said error % PNG. Any suggestions on how to fix it?

espicom

Post by espicom »

MCPB wrote: In the 4 lines of code you had me look up before, if the are 100% the same then it should work? or are their more lines dealing with the VC that I need to look up?

The lines I posted were for the program, not the template. The template files control what is sent to the browser, and an error in them would cause problems.
Jeff

MCPB

Post by MCPB »

Anyone have an idea of what i should look for in the tpl files?

Thanks..

espicom

Post by espicom »

I guess if you're not going to take the time to figure this out yourself, I will point you to a working copy of the template and program files here. I had assumed that you already had copies, since you said you installed it, but you must not.

At this point, I can not guess what you have changed to make this not work. The code in 2.0.18, as distributed, works. You need to compare it to what you have on your site in order to figure out why yours doesn't. I've run out of common causes to point you to... we're left with something having been modified by someone to break this portion of the program, both from the administrative and registration aspects. It is rather hard to believe that both sections could be "accidentally" broken.

The UltraEdit editor, which offers a 30 or 45 day free trial, comes with a utility called "UltraCompare", which is quite good at displaying the differences between two files - I use it often for comparing different releases, to verify that changes are made properly.
Jeff

MCPB

Post by MCPB »

First I want to say I really appreciate everyone’s input on this!!

Espicom, I don’t mind going over line by line to find the problem.. I was just wondering if you knew which files I should look in. Just to help get it narrowed down a little bit. I do have the original install files and I will start looking now. I also have KDIFF to help compare the files. So if you know which files I should look in or what I should look for… I did a search for “confirm” in DreamWeaver for the new install files and I get 300 items in 104 documents. Some are “confirm”, “Confirm”, “CONFIRM” how do I tell what case they need to be?

In my live php files, I have 244 items in 116 documents.

Where I should look for.

Thanks!

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

you may have just told us the answer to your problems. if you are using dreamweaver to open or edit or upload/download any of the phpbb files, they may be getting corrupted.

dreamweaver , frontpage, word, and other wysiwyg type editors add there own bits of code to a document. php and tpl files wont' work anymore.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”