Need Help! fatal error while installing phpbb 2 whats wrong?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
*rocky*

Need Help! fatal error while installing phpbb 2 whats wrong?

Post by *rocky* » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:48 am

im going to keep this sweet and simple:

i am trying to install phpbb2, and i am getting this fatal error:

"Fatal error: Call to a member function on a non-object in /export/home/csc-motorsports.com/public_html/forum/install/install.php on line 840"

wondering what this could mean? i have ALL the files uploaded and into thier right folders. here is my info:

- i have the database setup, and im running MySQL 4.1.9 running on mysql.catalog.com as csc_motorsports@localhost

- here is the info im putting into the install screen at forum/install/install.php :

Database Type: mySQL 4.x
Choose your installation method: install

Database Configuration
Database Server Hostname / DSN: localhost
Your Database Name: csc_motorsports
Database Username: csc_motorsports
Database Password: (my password)
Prefix for tables in database: phpbb_

Admin Configuration
Admin Email Address: subwayguy@gmail.com
Domain Name: www.csc-motorsports.com
Server Port: 80
Script path: /forum/

^^ the name of the DB on the host i have is "csc_motorsports", if that helps at all.

any help is apperciated. and i ran another forum of my own a few years ago, so i am pretty familiar with php, but a little rusty.

thanks!
[/b]

*rocky*

Post by *rocky* » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:31 pm

also want to add: im not a first time member of the phpbb forums. i had an account a few years ago, but it no longer works. i just dont want anyone flaming me for being a newb :(

also: i talked to my server host and they said that thier hosting is fully setup to take php and sql, and they said it must be somthing with how i have the files set up.

what should i do?

thanks

p3980

Post by p3980 » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:32 pm

Try reuploading install.php... looks like something isn't right in there.
Support Request Template <> Knowledge Base<>starfoxtj's Admin Toolkit
Member of the Unofficial Forum for phpBB.com Supporters

hobbie

Post by hobbie » Sat Dec 31, 2005 5:37 pm

I'm having the same issue. Just upgraded from .18 because the new features look quite nice. Only now I too am stuck with a non-functional forum on new years eve no less.

I did a simple changed-files update, nothing fancy: just ssh-ed em to the server and ran the update_to_latest script.

Plz help anyone? :?

PS if it can help: the adress to my forum is www.gkjette.com/phpBB2

hobbie

Post by hobbie » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:04 pm

Well, I deleted all old files, used a complete new set, uploaded my old config.php and everything works fine again.
I just don't seem to be able to put te visual confirmation to work though...

SER

Post by SER » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:05 pm

Did you enable it in the Admin Control Panel?
Visual Guide to Avatar Galleries
The Unoficial Staff Forum For The Unofficial Support Team | Join me at HauntX Remember, if it's Haunted, it's here!
"Support helps those who help themselves." | "You can lead a fool to wisdom, but you cannot make him think."

*rocky*

Post by *rocky* » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:17 pm

i re-uploaded all the install files (didnt fix) , and i changed the CHMOD setting in the config file to 666 (also didnt fix), so it cant be either of those....
what else are possibilities?

hobbie

Post by hobbie » Sat Dec 31, 2005 6:43 pm

*rocky* wrote: i re-uploaded all the install files (didnt fix) , and i changed the CHMOD setting in the config file to 666 (also didnt fix), so it cant be either of those....
what else are possibilities?

Well, I guess its either the files or the database itself. If using a complete new installation didn't help, the problem must lie in the connection to the databank or the tables within.

But since we shared the same error, I guess you can see the different subfora and topics. So it cant be the connection to your database: those data are read from it.

Perhaps the upgrade_to_latest-script did something it wasn't supposed to do? Perhaps your server is using a different version of php?

Just my two (if not less :wink: ) cents....
SER wrote: Did you enable it in the Admin Control Panel?

Yeah but it just doesn't appear to be working. Every time I check, the button is anew set to "off"

*rocky*

Post by *rocky* » Sat Dec 31, 2005 7:07 pm

ok, so i deleted the entire phpbb folder, and re-uploade EVERYTHING with an FTP program a friend recommended instead of the crappy one i had.

i fill in all the values, and this time i get a diffrent kind of error, a common one....maybe someone can tell me what it means?
Warning: mysql_connect(): Can't connect to local MySQL server through socket '/tmp/mysql.sock' (2) in /export/home/csc-motorsports.com/public_html/phpBB2/db/mysql4.php on line 48

Warning: mysql_error(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /export/home/csc-motorsports.com/public_html/phpBB2/db/mysql4.php on line 330

Warning: mysql_errno(): supplied argument is not a valid MySQL-Link resource in /export/home/csc-motorsports.com/public_html/phpBB2/db/mysql4.php on line 331
phpBB : Critical Error

Could not connect to the database

in the "database name" on the install screen, i have "csc_motorsports", is this right? because as i remeber, before it was somthing diffrent when i had my old hosting....it had a bunch more _ in the name and i think it said php too. i just remeber the DB not being the same as in the box.

thanks again for any help!

*rocky*

Post by *rocky* » Wed Jan 04, 2006 7:53 am

ok so i contacted my admin of the hosting i bought and he said it was client side. what am i doing wrong? i went thru all the readme files and cant find anything. god please help!

Francis33

Post by Francis33 » Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:40 pm

*rocky* wrote: ok, so i deleted the entire phpbb folder, and re-uploade EVERYTHING with an FTP program a friend recommended instead of the crappy one i had.

Hi rocky,
I am a newbie in this matter (phpBB) and I get the same error as you. I uploaded all the stuff to my hoster server with cuteftp 6.0 pro.
If I follow your assumptions I may have to change my FTP client. Which one do you use now?

Thanks,
Francis.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”