Problems working with a backup copied forum

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
BinLiner

Problems working with a backup copied forum

Post by BinLiner » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:18 am

Can anyone please help ?

I wanted to play around with the look and feel of my existing forum safely, so I created a second forum in a new location in my web and generated a backup of the db's from both the original and new forums. I then deleted the new form backup db and renamed the old backup db to the new one. I uploaded this db which then gave me a perfect copy of the original forum to play around with.

The problem I have is that when I try and log on to the new forum, it predictably logs me back into the original forum. I'm assuming that there is a file somewhere that explicitly points authorised login attempts to the original forum, I just cant find it. Any ideas ?

kevsgsm78

Post by kevsgsm78 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:22 am

i think when you back-up a database it backs-up the paths too, so when you restore ur db ur paths will become valid, im not sure the way you want it and the way your trying to do it are correct
Many Thanks
Kev

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Re: Problems working with a backup copied forum

Post by karlsemple » Fri Jan 06, 2006 10:24 am

BinLiner wrote: Can anyone please help ?

I wanted to play around with the look and feel of my existing forum safely, so I created a second forum in a new location in my web and generated a backup of the db's from both the original and new forums. I then deleted the new form backup db and renamed the old backup db to the new one. I uploaded this db which then gave me a perfect copy of the original forum to play around with.

The problem I have is that when I try and log on to the new forum, it predictably logs me back into the original forum. I'm assuming that there is a file somewhere that explicitly points authorised login attempts to the original forum, I just cant find it. Any ideas ?

your script paths are incorrect use this

Auto Cookies MOD
it will auto detect and allow you to set the correct domain,cookie and script path for the forums and allow you too change them

Fletch79

Post by Fletch79 » Fri Jan 06, 2006 11:33 am

If you made a perfect copy of your database it will have copied over all the admin panel details aswell!

In the genral configuration you will need to change:-

Domain name
Script path
cookie domain
Cookie Name
Cookie path

So they point to the 'backup' files

If you can't log in you will need to do this direct in the DB
You will find them in the table phpbb_config
Last edited by Fletch79 on Mon Jan 16, 2006 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BinLiner

Post by BinLiner » Fri Jan 06, 2006 12:13 pm

Thanks for the help all :D .
Is there any other way that I can import/copy all the posts and user details from one forum to another without copying a complete backup of the original forum?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Fri Jan 06, 2006 6:27 pm

BinLiner wrote: Thanks for the help all :D .
Is there any other way that I can import/copy all the posts and user details from one forum to another without copying a complete backup of the original forum?

nope, that is how it is done.

did you do what was suggested, did you get and run the cookie MOD on the new board ?

that will find the correct settings for you and then it will all work.

however, from what you described, I am not sure but what you are still working on the original database.

the proper procedure for what you want to do is this.

create new database,
install new phpbb in different folder

go to old board,
backup database to your computer.

go to new board
go to admin panel
restore old database over new one.

now, becuase you used the old database on your new board, you now have the script paths pointing to the old board.

so, run the cookie MOD on the new board,
accept whatever it suggests for you.

then follow the instructions to clear cookies, etc. etc.

now, you should be in business.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”