Visual Confirmation doesn't work

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
comicslam

Visual Confirmation doesn't work

Post by comicslam » Sat Jan 07, 2006 7:57 pm

Hi,

As of late, my forum is being plagued DAILY with members that register and who link to sex sites, poker sites and whatnot in their profile.

In order to prevent this problem, I've tried to switch the 'Enable Visual Confirmation' to 'Yes', but after clicking 'submit', exiting the admin panel and re-entering it, the visual confirmation option has automatically switched back to 'No'.

Can anyone tell me how I need to fix this issue and whether or not I can make some other security fixes to my forum to prevent these fake registrations in the future?

Thanks!

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Sat Jan 07, 2006 8:08 pm

Hi comicslam,

Problem #1 : You could set "account activation" to admin, in order to give you a chance to review the details of a new member's profile, before they go live.

Problem #2 : Are you using a template other than "Subsilver"? If not, please compare the code below to your own code, located in "forum\admin\admin_board.php".

Code: Select all

$confirm_yes = ($new['enable_confirm']) ? 'checked="checked"' : '';
$confirm_no = (!$new['enable_confirm']) ? 'checked="checked"' : '';
I suspect that the exclamation mark is located on the $confirm_yes line in your case.

Let me know,

Regards,
Wolf

Drunk Bum

Post by Drunk Bum » Sun Jan 08, 2006 2:39 am

Hi comicslam,

I had the exact same problem and I was using the subsilver template and the code appeared as it should as Wo1f described. I fixed the problem by adding by adding this row to the phpbb_config table:

config_name config_value
enable_confirm 1

For some reason that property never got added to my db table.

Hope that helps!

comicslam

Post by comicslam » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:19 am

Hi guys,

I checked the code and those two lines appeared as wolf indicated they should.

Forgive me for asking a silly question (I don't know anything about databases), but how do I add that row to the config table, Drunk Bum?

Thanks for the input!

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Mon Jan 09, 2006 9:22 am

i am confused now, if you update you should run the file update_to_latest.php to add the database info and if it isa new install that would added automatically. So if that is missing it would be very worrying indeed as it would indicate you have not been upgrading correctly. To as the query to your database you would need to use a database manager such as phpmyadmin, many hosts provide this or something similar!

Drunk Bum

Post by Drunk Bum » Mon Jan 09, 2006 11:40 pm

karlsemple:
I've always run my update script, although I don't usually upgrade every release. I've never had any problems or run into any errors. I was looking at the update script and the "sendmail_fix" property that should have been added at the same time was missing, but the config properties later on in the script are all in my db. I have no idea why...

comicslam:
I'm not sure of an easy way to add the row to the database if you aren't familiar with them. What karl says is correct and you should have a database manager that would do it, but it won't be easy if you aren't familiar. Maybe someone can offer an alternative or a way to trick the update script into doing it for you like it should have.

dalessit

Post by dalessit » Tue Jan 10, 2006 1:01 am

Ok, maybe this is a stupid question, I just upgraded to the latest version ,and I don't seem to have the visual confirmation option. I am using the subblack template.

I haven't done too much with the board except for the initial setup and changed a few colors around. Do the modded templates change forms? I just assumed they were changes to the style sheets.

My confirmation works just fine, but the user is still listed until I delete them, which is a real pain in the rear. I am hoping the visual confirmation will stop some automated forum creators but still won't stop manual ones.

Is there any way to not list a user until they have been confirmed by an admin?

Thanks,

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Tue Jan 10, 2006 5:16 am

Hi dalessit,
dalessit wrote: I don't seem to have the visual confirmation option. I am using the subblack template.

This usually means (in the case of dated styles) that it has not been updated to include visual confirmation. You can edit the files yourself by following the instructions here:
  • How to add Visual Confirmation to outdated templates
[/url]

Hope this helps,
Wolf

mecg

Post by mecg » Tue Jan 10, 2006 8:13 pm

dalessit wrote: Is there any way to not list a user until they have been confirmed by an admin?

Yes, please answer this question for me, too!!! It only makes sense and would take away the drive for the idiots who keep posting their CRAP on my board!!!

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:02 pm

As per requests above:

1 ] BACKUP memberlist.php
2 ] In memberlist.php (did I mention to backup this file BEFORE making this modification?), find the following code:

$sql = "SELECT username, user_id, user_viewemail, user_posts, user_regdate, user_from, user_website, user_email, user_icq, user_aim, user_yim, user_msnm, user_avatar, user_avatar_type, user_allowavatar 
	FROM " . USERS_TABLE . "
	WHERE user_id <> " . ANONYMOUS . "
	ORDER BY $order_by";
AND REPLACE WITH:

$sql = "SELECT username, user_id, user_viewemail, user_posts, user_regdate, user_from, user_website, user_email, user_icq, user_aim, user_yim, user_msnm, user_avatar, user_avatar_type, user_allowavatar 
	FROM " . USERS_TABLE . "
	AND user_active != " . 0 . "
	ORDER BY $order_by";
3 ] Still in memberlist.php, find the following code:

if ( $mode != 'topten' || $board_config['topics_per_page'] < 10 )
{
	$sql = "SELECT count(*) AS total
		FROM " . USERS_TABLE . "
		WHERE user_id <> " . ANONYMOUS;
AND REPLACE WITH:

if ( $mode != 'topten' || $board_config['topics_per_page'] < 10 )
{
	$sql = "SELECT count(*) AS total
		FROM " . USERS_TABLE . "
		AND user_active != " . 0;
These 2 modifications will not display a new member which has NOT been activated by the admin or in the case of a "User" activation... until the user has responded to the account activation email.

There will also be some needed modifications to "index.php" I believe, but I would rather you confirm that these changes work fine before we move on to that.

EDIT step #2: Line has been adjusted to remove 2 columns needed for a mod you might not have. Thanks to "objectman" for bringning this up to me.

Let me know,
Wolf
Last edited by Wo1f on Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mecg

Post by mecg » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:10 pm

Wo1f -

Done. I've also set the graphics thing to On and the account activation to User. We'll see how these changes work out...

Thanks!!!!!!

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:18 pm

mecg wrote: I've also set the graphics thing to On and the account activation to User.

The account activation should (ideally) be set to "Admin", not "User". Nevertheless, the new user should not be visible until the account activation has been confirmed.

Let me know the outcome... and you're welcome mate!
Wolf :wink:

mecg

Post by mecg » Tue Jan 10, 2006 9:30 pm

Wo1f wrote: The account activation should (ideally) be set to "Admin", not "User". Nevertheless, the new user should not be visible until the account activation has been confirmed.

Let me know the outcome... and you're welcome mate!
Wolf :wink:

Well, I'm going with the idea that the spammer must input a working e-mail address to get the account activated. I'm trying it out. It may be that I'll switch it back to Admin if it doesn't work well for me.

Thanks!
:D

comicslam

Post by comicslam » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:01 am

I've been updating the board whenever a new release has come out. I assume that if the visual confirmation option is listed in the admin panel, that it should work under normal circumstances, right?

EDIT:

I remembered that my MB was hacked a few months ago. Maybe that's why the visual confirmation doesn't work and why so many fake members are signing up?

Would installing a completely new MB help fix things? Speaking of which, if I were to create a new PHPBB forum at a different location on my website, is there any way to transfer the database from my old PHPBB forum to the new one if I make some changes to the amount of categories, forums and forum names?

B.W. Behling

Post by B.W. Behling » Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:41 am

I'm having a weird problem with Visual Confirmation on my system. No matter how carefully the visual code is entered (and I tested this myself a dozen times) the system keeps saying the entry is incorrect.

Anyone have any ideas?
The bar & grill of the Steel Panthers Community

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”