Visual Confirmation doesn't work

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
mark_l_sanders

Post by mark_l_sanders » Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:33 pm

I'm also having loads of 'spam' registrations.

I've set my board to require 'admin' approval but I'm not prepared to use 'visual confirmation' because it's inaccessible to so many people.

Anyway - I've got a question about Wo1f's code:

currently, I get an email giving me the name of the new registrant(?). I then have to go to my members' list to get the details, including any listed website. That's where I get enough detail to decide whether this is a genuine or spam registration.

If the tweaked code doesn't list the user until approval, how do we get to find out these details...??

Is there any way of including enough detail in the email to allow a decision to be made???

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:39 pm

Hi mark_l_sanders,
mark_l_sanders wrote: I've set my board to require 'admin' approval but I'm not prepared to use 'visual confirmation' because it's inaccessible to so many people.

How have you come to that conclusion? I'm not following you.

mark_l_sanders wrote: currently, I get an email giving me the name of the new registrant(?). I then have to go to my members' list to get the details, including any listed website. That's where I get enough detail to decide whether this is a genuine or spam registration.

If the tweaked code doesn't list the user until approval, how do we get to find out these details...??

What about user management in the ACP??? The tweaked code simply hides from the memberlist a new member which has not been activated. It does not hide the user nor the registration info he submitted from the admin (who needs to activate or delete the new member).
mark_l_sanders wrote: Is there any way of including enough detail in the email to allow a decision to be made???

Anything is possible. If you believe this need to be widespread enough to warrant a mod, the "Mod Requests" forum is a good place to submit it.

Hope this clarifies things,
Wolf

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Wed Jan 11, 2006 5:54 pm

comicslam wrote: I've been updating the board whenever a new release has come out. I assume that if the visual confirmation option is listed in the admin panel, that it should work under normal circumstances, right?

Correct.
comicslam wrote: I remembered that my MB was hacked a few months ago. Maybe that's why the visual confirmation doesn't work and why so many fake members are signing up?

Unlikely. There may be foreign code (hacker trail) hidden somewhere in your database if you haven't taken the time to look for this when your board was initially hacked. But there is a rash of manual registrations for spam purposes lately. Being the admin, you're in a much better position than I am to evaluate this for your board.
comicslam wrote: Would installing a completely new MB help fix things? Speaking of which, if I were to create a new PHPBB forum at a different location on my website, is there any way to transfer the database from my old PHPBB forum to the new one if I make some changes to the amount of categories, forums and forum names?

This question would be better answered in the "CH Mod" support thread, where you may encounter similar scenarios from other admins, and maybe their solution also.

Hope this helps,
Wolf

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Wed Jan 11, 2006 6:10 pm

Hi B.W. Behling,
B.W. Behling wrote: I'm having a weird problem with Visual Confirmation on my system. No matter how carefully the visual code is entered (and I tested this myself a dozen times) the system keeps saying the entry is incorrect.

Anyone have any ideas?

A quick search through this forum using these keywords --> "visual confirmation" returned quite a few interesting and similar issues, such as:
  • Visual code displaying wrong code
[/url]

Hope this helps,
Wolf

mark_l_sanders

Post by mark_l_sanders » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:57 am

Wo1f wrote:
mark_l_sanders wrote:I've set my board to require 'admin' approval but I'm not prepared to use 'visual confirmation' because it's inaccessible to so many people.

How have you come to that conclusion? I'm not following you.

It's inaccessible to people who are blind or who have low vision. Refer to http://www.w3.org/TR/turingtest/ for the W3C take on CAPTCHA and possible alternatives.

Meanwhile, thanks for your post.

Do you know if there's any way of finding the IP from which the registration request was made? It doesn't seem to be stored in the ACP...

mark

objectman

Die spammers die

Post by objectman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 3:35 pm

Hi guys,

I have been following this post and I tried to disable the showing of new members until I activate their account, but got this error message:

Code: Select all

Could not query users

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 'user_from_flag' in 'field list'

SELECT username, user_id, user_viewemail, user_posts, user_regdate, user_session_time, user_from, user_from_flag, user_website, user_email, user_icq, user_aim, user_yim, user_msnm, user_avatar, user_avatar_type, user_allowavatar FROM phpbb_users WHERE user_id <> -1 AND user_active != 0 ORDER BY user_regdate ASC LIMIT 0, 50

Line : 152
File : memberlist.php
I'm sure there's another little tweak needed there. Thanks, anyway Wo1f. You were right about backing up.

The whole idea of not showing them at all buys us a bit of time I guess. Before tehy find another way to spam teh boards.

I've had spammers register without posting a url and then, later, they make a post as if they were a new member to a script which does ... something?

ANYWAY...

Aside from the code error, I have another question.

While I can switch on visual confirmation, I can't actually "see" the secret code if I try to register as a new user. I've checked my code and it seems fine. How do I get the visual confirmation code to show up?

I've really hunted around the knowledge base and everything seems to be in order.

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:00 pm

mark_l_sanders wrote: It's inaccessible to people who are blind or who have low vision. Refer to http://www.w3.org/TR/turingtest/ for the W3C take on CAPTCHA and possible alternatives.

Of course... you're right, but having a gaming forum does not help me remember that. Shame on me and thanks for the memory "nudge".

mark_l_sanders wrote: Do you know if there's any way of finding the IP from which the registration request was made? It doesn't seem to be stored in the ACP...

I know of a mod that does this...
  • [2.0.14] Log IP Address on Registration
[/url]

Hope this helps,
Wolf

Wo1f

Re: Die spammers die

Post by Wo1f » Thu Jan 12, 2006 5:26 pm

objectman wrote: I have been following this post and I tried to disable the showing of new members until I activate their account, but got this error message:

Code: Select all

Could not query users

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 'user_from_flag' in 'field list'

SELECT username, user_id, user_viewemail, user_posts, user_regdate, user_session_time, user_from, user_from_flag, user_website, user_email, user_icq, user_aim, user_yim, user_msnm, user_avatar, user_avatar_type, user_allowavatar FROM phpbb_users WHERE user_id <> -1 AND user_active != 0 ORDER BY user_regdate ASC LIMIT 0, 50

Line : 152
File : memberlist.php

Oh darn... I picked up the line from my modded forum and not the unmodded one. Good catch objectman. The original post containing this line has been corrected. The columns "user_from. and user_from_flag" comes from an older version of the "attachment mod" which you might not have, hence the error.

objectman wrote: You were right about backing up.

Yes, I like to describe this one as "one of the few constants in this Universe". :wink:

objectman wrote: While I can switch on visual confirmation, I can't actually "see" the secret code if I try to register as a new user. I've checked my code and it seems fine. How do I get the visual confirmation code to show up?

The most likely cause for this is using a style which has not been updated. This article might help you if you haven't seen it already.
  • Testing your templates for compatibility with Visual Confirmation
[/url]

Hope this helps,
Wolf

mark_l_sanders

Post by mark_l_sanders » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:15 pm

Wo1f wrote: ...having a gaming forum...

???
Wo1f wrote: ...thanks...

pleasure.
also: thanks very much for the IP mod.
listen all - these spam registrations started about 2 weeks ago. is this a recent phenomena for everyone or have i just been lucky til now?

objectman

Post by objectman » Thu Jan 12, 2006 11:21 pm

Thanks Wolf. Your original code seems to work with 2.0.19 - however - strangely - now when I log in (or even if I don't for that matter), clicking the memberlist only shows a page full of forum members without giving me the option of page 2, 3 etc. and I have more than just a pages worth of members in the forum ...

Hate to be a bother. Onlywhen you get a chance ...

Wo1f

Post by Wo1f » Fri Jan 13, 2006 12:48 am

Hi objectman,

Simply undo changes for item #3 on the first page of this thread. That change has to do with pagination and I wanted to make sure the count would remain accurate by not including users who had not been activated yet. A quick test on my forum does not display everything on 1 page as you've described, but I did not have a chance to test thouroughly.

Let me know and if I have to, i'll take a closer look this week-end.

Wolf

B.W. Behling

Post by B.W. Behling » Thu Nov 30, 2006 11:29 am

Wo1f wrote: Hi B.W. Behling,
B.W. Behling wrote:I'm having a weird problem with Visual Confirmation on my system. No matter how carefully the visual code is entered (and I tested this myself a dozen times) the system keeps saying the entry is incorrect.

Anyone have any ideas?

A quick search through this forum using these keywords --> "visual confirmation" returned quite a few interesting and similar issues, such as:
  • Visual code displaying wrong code
[/url]

Hope this helps,
Wolf

Thanks Wolf, but that fix doesn't seem to apply to 2.021. And yes, I've still got the problem. VC shows a code, but no matter how carefully it's entered it always comes back as wrong.
The bar & grill of the Steel Panthers Community

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Nov 30, 2006 5:37 pm

could you turn it back on for a while so we can test?

thanks,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Unknow-CDR

Post by Unknow-CDR » Thu Nov 30, 2006 6:53 pm

mark_l_sanders wrote:
Wo1f wrote:...having a gaming forum...

???
Wo1f wrote: ...thanks...

pleasure.
also: thanks very much for the IP mod.
listen all - these spam registrations started about 2 weeks ago. is this a recent phenomena for everyone or have i just been lucky til now?

hi! I've the visual confirmation enable and this spam registrations was happening (about 2 weeks ago too)

regards,

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Thu Nov 30, 2006 7:10 pm

the phpbb visual confirmation no longer works.

look here for some solutions:
SpamBots
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”