Link directly to topic

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Akira2

Link directly to topic

Post by Akira2 »

When my forum shows up, you have different categories, each containing serveral forums. Is it possible to link directly to a topic?
For example, when you click on a forum title, you wont get a list with topics in that forum, but you see the topic content itself. (So actually you don't link to a forum, but to a topic)...

Can anyone explain me if and how this can be done?

Thanks in advance!

<BTW, is this the right forum to post this question?>
Akira

Akira2

Post by Akira2 »

Nobody has an idea how to do this?
Akira

biscuitkeeper

Post by biscuitkeeper »

If i undersand correctly.. if you were to say click on phpBB Support from the index of this site it wouldnt show you support topics it would take you to a specific topic.

I assume you would want this only for a specific forum where there is a particular post you want to display? Otherwise how will people see the other topics posted? And surely the topic you choose to open would have to be hard wired into the code eg http://www.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=1970335 as it needs to know which topic you want to display?
Patience of a Saint :: Memory of a Goldfish.

Akira2

Post by Akira2 »

Thats exactly what I mean! Only one specific forum I want to display its post instead of topic list. So I have to put the topic url in a link, but where can I edit that link?
Akira

biscuitkeeper

Post by biscuitkeeper »

If it was to be the top (or bottom) forum in your index then you could code it in by hand so it would display with the link coded in then the php would generate the actual forums after it.

The only problem is that it would then display the dummy forrum but also since the post will be in a real forum it will display that. If you make the post in an existing forum then this wouldn't be a problem. Otherwise you will need a guru to help with creating case switches etc.

Akira2

Post by Akira2 »

Code it in by hand? What file do I have to edit then?

But actually, it's not the top forum in my index, its the second forum in the first category... I cant edit it myself?

Isnt there maybe a way to edit it in the mysql database? So that the forum just wont show its topics but only the content of the only topic inside of it.
Akira

biscuitkeeper

Post by biscuitkeeper »

I have come up with a bit of a hack to get this to work.. it's not exactly bullet proof but it seems to work..

Go to: ACP - Forum Admin - Management
Edit the forum you want to link and make the forum name..

Code: Select all

<a href=viewtopic.php?p=xxx>Forum Name</a>
Obviously changing the Topic ID and forum title to suit your needs..

The only ill effect it seemed to have on my site was it made the nav bar font slightly incorrect but only for the post which it pointed to.

Akira2

Post by Akira2 »

Hey thanks man! It worked! What a nice, simple solution! I dont even have that ill effect you mentioned, mayb because I use another template?

Nice tip you gave me! Thanks again :)
Akira

biscuitkeeper

Post by biscuitkeeper »

Excellent! 8)

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

biscuitkeeper wrote: Excellent! 8)

good post, excellent help.

thanks,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Ripper®

Post by Ripper® »

That works great, with only one problem I can see. The posts and replies entries on the right of the forum show "0" and it says "no posts" in the last column.

If I can hack that somehow, this would be a perfect way to add topic links to the home page. Maybe biscuitkeeper should write a mod....... (I'll look into it too, but I don't have that kind of time right now).

One other thing I found out that might help others looking to add content to their index page..... You can add HTML links in the forum descriptions too. I added the Topics Anywhere mod into each forum description. It lists the latest announcement in that particular forum. It works great.
You can see it here:
http://www.ripper1.com/forum/

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”