unwanted members

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
trtexas

unwanted members

Post by trtexas » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:07 am

I am having a difficult time with unwanted members registering on my message board.

What can I do to get rid of these members?

What can I do to stop unwanted members in the future?

I am using version 2.0.6?

m3zzr

Post by m3zzr » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:23 am

Firstly... I would upgrade to the latest version..

You can set your board to have admin activate member registrations, which means when someone registers, you get an email to let you know they need activating... so you decide who can and can not have access.

trtexas

Post by trtexas » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:44 am

Is it difficult to download the new version to my web site? Is there support?

Thanks
Tony

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:48 am

trtexas wrote: Is it difficult to download the new version to my web site? Is there support?

Thanks
Tony

this is support. what are you asking?

for a version as old as yours, I would suggest just starting with all new files and add back any MODs that you want. many of the older MODs may not work with the new files.

if you don't want to get hacked, then you better upgrade soon.
Upgrading to a new version.
OK, I know is can be overwhelming at first.

This is the procedure if you don't have any MODs installed or don't care if you lose them.
Here we go:

I.To start with, doing this you will NOT lose any of your members, their posts, their profiles, your forum names, your category names or anything else.

II.If you have installed any MODs (not moderators but modifications) they will be lost. If you don't know what MODs are, then it is a pretty good chance that you haven't installed any.
If you don't want to lose them, stop now and choose a different method to update.

III.Use a ftp program to do this, not front page or dreamweaver, but a ftp program.
They are free if you don't have one, get filezilla it is good.

IV.Dont panic if something goes wrong. As long as you have the database back up you cannot lose anything important.

V.Do not try to go to your forum page until you have finished all the steps. It will just give you error messages that will confuse you.

VI. Go into your admin panel and change your style back to subSilver and check
over ride users for now.

VII. Now do a database backup and save it to your computer.

Now we are ready to start;

1. create a working folder on your computer to use while doing all this.

2. Download the current version Full Package zip file from the downloads section at phpbb.com

3. unzip it to your computer leaving it's directory structure intact. ( your zip program will have this option, probably as default)

4. download the config.php file from your old board into your working folder. (this is probably the second most important part of this)

5. if you have not done so already, do a complete backup of your old database and put that sql file in your working folder. ( this is the most important part of this.)

6. (edited out)

7. now, go to the place on your computer that you unzipped the new phpBB files, you should see a folder named phpBB2. upload that complete folder and all of it's files to your server.
It will overwrite everything that is there.
If your board is in a folder named anything other than phpBB2, then you upload all of the folders and files that are inside the phpBB2 folder into your folder.

8.Now, upload the old config.php file from your working folder to your new forum folder. It will overwrite the one that is there.
check and make sure that it now shows a file size of 1kb, that means that it did upload correctly.

9. Now, go to your browser, if you put your new forum in phpBB2, then type this into the browser bar:
http://yourdomain.com/phpBB2/install/up ... latest.php

Now, click on the enter key and wait, the screen that comes up should say success and no error messages should show up.

10.Now, go back to ftp, delete the install and the contrib folders.

Now go to your forum , it should be up with all the old posts, users, etc.

Now you will have to upload and install any styles that you want to use.

This is a lot to digest, but if you take your time and follow my instructions
exactly and in order, you should not have any problems.

Remember , your database backup will save you even if you delete all the phpbb files.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

devnullseo

Post by devnullseo » Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:51 am

Keep in mind that using the admin feature can slow the contribution level, but does cut down on the unwanteds. I notice many users don't come back after being approved.

Here's a trick... I turn off admin approval during "regular business hours" and re-enable it automatically for evenings and weekend.s This has two benefits: 1) my experience shows that most users during the "business day" are legit users. The riffraff tend to come out at night. 2) I don't have time to approve users during the day anyways.

And remember you can always nuke users as needed...

trtexas

Post by trtexas » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:23 am

Thanks for the help. I will try and upgrade the version.

I am having problems nuking unwanted users now

trtexas

Post by trtexas » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:39 am

where do you find the config.php file

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Jan 28, 2006 9:45 am

trtexas wrote: where do you find the config.php file

using ftp , you will find it in the phpbb folder ( phpbb means whatever folder name your board has, default is phpBB2 )

robert

trtexas

Post by trtexas » Sat Jan 28, 2006 10:01 am

It says tio download from the old board, where do I find the config.php file

dcmo

Post by dcmo » Sat Jan 28, 2006 12:06 pm

m3zzr wrote: Firstly... I would upgrade to the latest version..

You can set your board to have admin activate member registrations, which means when someone registers, you get an email to let you know they need activating... so you decide who can and can not have access.

Hello. I too am getting swamped with unwanted users (ok, maybe swamped is too strong a word but several a day which is a lot when I only have 30 'real' users). I'm using 2.0.19 and I have changed the board to have admin activated registrations. But, when someone signs up their profile appears on the memberlist anyway even before I approve them or not, including of course the dodgy web link they wanted on.

Is there any way to prevent a user from appearing on the list until after I have approved them ?

thanks. I think this must be a FAQ but I have searched and haven't come up with a response except this thread.

dcmo

trtexas

Post by trtexas » Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:58 am

I want to upgrade. When I get to the part about creating a folder, downloading the config.php file from my old message board I am not sure I am doing the correct steps.
I am having a difficult time finding the config.php file.
Thanks for your help.

Circle

Post by Circle » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:06 am

trtexas wrote: I want to upgrade. When I get to the part about creating a folder, downloading the config.php file from my old message board I am not sure I am doing the correct steps.
I am having a difficult time finding the config.php file.
Thanks for your help.

config..php can be found in the rootfolder of your forum.

trtexas

Post by trtexas » Mon Jan 30, 2006 6:45 am

I apologize for my ignorance. Where is the rrotfolder of my forum. I have looked in the Admin panel and can not find the file or anything associzted.

I am experienced. I am used to knowing exactly where to find files or how to do stuff. I do have network skills the web stuff I am still a little confused.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:06 am

trtexas wrote: I apologize for my ignorance. Where is the rrotfolder of my forum. I have looked in the Admin panel and can not find the file or anything associzted.

I am experienced. I am used to knowing exactly where to find files or how to do stuff. I do have network skills the web stuff I am still a little confused.

you can't do this from the admin panel, you have to have ftp access to the server where the board is installed.,

then you will find the config.php file in the main folder for your board.

robert

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”