Upgrading to a new version.
OK, I know is can be overwhelming at first.
This is the procedure if you don't have any MODs installed or don't care if you lose them.
Here we go:
I.To start with, doing this you will NOT
lose any of your members, their posts, their profiles, your forum names, your category names or anything else.
II.If you have installed any MODs (not moderators but modifications) they will be lost. If you don't know what MODs are, then it is a pretty good chance that you haven't installed any.
If you don't want to lose them, stop now and choose a different method to update.
III.Use a ftp program to do this, not front page or dreamweaver, but a ftp program.
They are free if you don't have one, get filezilla it is good.
IV.Dont panic if something goes wrong. As long as you have the database back up you cannot lose anything important.
V.Do not try to go to your forum page until you have finished all the steps. It will just give you error messages that will confuse you.
VI. Go into your admin panel and change your style back to subSilver and check
over ride users for now.
VII. Now do a database backup and save it to your computer.
Now we are ready to start;
1. create a working folder on your computer to use while doing all this.
2. Download the current version Full Package zip file from the downloads section at phpbb.com
3. unzip it to your computer leaving it's directory structure intact. ( your zip program will have this option, probably as default)
4. download the config.php file from your old board into your working folder. (this is probably the second most important part of this)
5. if you have not done so already, do a complete backup of your old database and put that sql file in your working folder. ( this is the most important part of this.)
6. (edited out)
7. now, go to the place on your computer that you unzipped the new phpBB files, you should see a folder named phpBB2. upload that complete folder and all of it's files to your server.
It will overwrite everything that is there.
If your board is in a folder named anything other than phpBB2, then you upload all of the folders and files that are inside the phpBB2 folder into your folder.
8.Now, upload the old config.php file from your working folder to your new forum folder. It will overwrite the one that is there.
check and make sure that it now shows a file size of 1kb, that means that it did upload correctly.
9. Now, go to your browser, if you put your new forum in phpBB2, then type this into the browser bar:
http://yourdomain.com/phpBB2/install/up ... latest.php
Now, click on the enter key and wait, the screen that comes up should say success and no error messages should show up.
10.Now, go back to ftp, delete the install and the contrib folders.
Now go to your forum , it should be up with all the old posts, users, etc.
Now you will have to upload and install any styles that you want to use.
This is a lot to digest, but if you take your time and follow my instructions
exactly and in order, you should not have any problems.
Remember , your database backup will save you even if you delete all the phpbb files.