CGI error

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
canadiancray

CGI error

Post by canadiancray »

URL: http://www.canadiancrayfish.ca/phpbb2/index.php
Template(s) used: Apple
Any and all MODs: Nothing new in months. Can't remember exactly.
Do you use a port of phpBB: ??????
Version of phpBB:. 2.0.19
Version of PHP:
Which database server and version: MySQL 4.1.7
Host: Namespro.ca
Did someone install this for you/who: NO
Have you searched for your problem: YES
If so, what terms did you try:CGI ERROR
State the nature of your problem: Browser won't connect to forum.

For some reason when my users or I try to access the forum we get this error now:
CGI Timeout
The specified CGI application exceeded the allowed time for processing. The server has deleted the process.

I have contacted my host & they tell me the server & database are working normally & it may be something in my tables causing this. Any ideas what could do this???

There have been no changes made in weeks.
Last edited by canadiancray on Tue Feb 28, 2006 3:39 am, edited 2 times in total.

p3980

Post by p3980 »

1) Please fill in the blanks on the Support Request Template. You left out some vital information
2) CGI error's aren't common with PHP (Never heard of em, to be honest).... what exactly were you doing when you got the error?
Support Request Template <> Knowledge Base<>starfoxtj's Admin Toolkit
Member of the Unofficial Forum for phpBB.com Supporters

canadiancray

Post by canadiancray »

Just trying to access the forum. Thats the error I get when my browser trys to connect with it.

p3980

Post by p3980 »

p3980 wrote: 1) Please fill in the blanks on the Support Request Template. You left out some vital information

~AJK~

Post by ~AJK~ »

If the solutions posted above worked can you add [SOLVED] to beginning the subject of your first post to help others? Click on the "EDIT" button next to your FIRST post in the thread.
Click the following: Help for Newbies | Support Request Template
No PM's Please

canadiancray

Post by canadiancray »

What do I do with that info. My host is telling me its not a Server or Database problem but something in the forum that screwed up the tables & for me to go see if everything looks ok. Phhff. Right thats like asking a monkey to decifer the rosseta stone.

~AJK~

Post by ~AJK~ »

Forward those posts to your host. Either they can help you not run phpbb under CGI or you can find a host that doesn't do this.
If the solutions posted above worked can you add [SOLVED] to beginning the subject of your first post to help others? Click on the "EDIT" button next to your FIRST post in the thread.
Click the following: Help for Newbies | Support Request Template
No PM's Please

canadiancray

Post by canadiancray »

Is there any way for me to fix this in the short term. To get it back up for now???? Why hasn't it done this before??? I have never had this issue before & have not made any changes in months.

p3980

Post by p3980 »

canadiancray wrote: Is there any way for me to fix this in the short term. To get it back up for now???? Why hasn't it done this before??? I have never had this issue before & have not made any changes in months.

If you haven't made any changes, it sounds like your host may've changed something.

canadiancray

Post by canadiancray »

So is there anything I can try??? At this point Im stuck. There's nothing worse than not even being able to access the forum & being told everything is working.

espicom

Post by espicom »

~AJK~ wrote: You may want to peak at espicom's comments:

Oh, SURE.... pick some of my most colourful comments... :roll: 8)

The CGI timeout shouldn't occur, unless the time is set incredibly short. There is nothing in normal PHPBB that would take more than a fraction of a second to respond, 1 second at the outside, except when another problem is occuring. The delay isn't too short on your server, though.

One possibility, if it only occurs for moderators and admins, is "pruning". There is a badly written pruning query that can cause long delays on moderate-sized boards, every time a moderator enters a forum with auto-pruning enabled. This does NOT apply if the delay is coming while going to the index.php page, however, and I'm getting the delay as a guest, so... forget I mentioned this.

Sometimes, an error in a template can cause this, especially if the Extreme Styles MOD has been applied, and there is errant PHP code in one of the templates.

If you connect to your phpmyadmin install (which they hopefully supplied for you), do you also get a timeout? If not, check your forums table for any unusual javascript or other tags in the descriptions, which might be causing problems.

I notice that main site's counter image is also not working... so this isn't the only CGI that is broken or slow...
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”