load handling, # of users?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
ares

load handling, # of users?

Post by ares »

hi, i'm curious about how many users phpbb will be able to take at one time.. i'm a member of a forum that averages 600 hits a second (or was it minute? i'll double check later) and vbull is not cutting it anymore.

the forums are always having problems with stuff being broken. and high usage killing the forums.. speeds drop, things take longer than supposed to, its really bad.

anyway, how much can phpbb handle? could it handle such an immense load? at least 600 users on at any given moment, around 700 posts a day... possibly more, possibly 7,000...
or would phpbb not be able to handle all this? the only other solution being considered will cost around 200k.

if anyone knows, i'd really apprecaite it.

theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn »

1) Most likly whats breaking down is MySQL, I'd look into another database solution, one thats better under high load. However, that also means more complexity and (most likly) cost. Or at the very least look into major tweeking of MySQL (if you havn't already)

2) phpBB on MySQL would suffer the same problems as vB I'd bet. phpBB has never been tested under load like that so I can't say for sure if it could handle it.

3) Where is the forum? It must be MASSIVE?

As much as I hate to say it, your best solution for something that big might be Infopop's OpenTopic. Its hosted on their beefy systems, backended by Oracle, and witten (I think) in Java (this is the downside of it IMO). But it'll cost you big bucks....
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net

ICMafia

Post by ICMafia »

I'd love to know his bandwidth usage too... with a load like that must be a good 50-100 gigs a month :)

theFinn

Post by theFinn »

Way more then that.. with 600 users at one time I'd say more like 10 - 20gigs per DAY...
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor

nathan
Former Team Member

Post by nathan »

theFinn wrote: As much as I hate to say it, your best solution for something that big might be Infopop's OpenTopic. Its hosted on their beefy systems, backended by Oracle, and witten (I think) in Java (this is the downside of it IMO). But it'll cost you big bucks....

Java the downside? Say what? Man, I *wish* we were using servlets for phpBB. We do all this stuff on every pageview that really only needs to be done once when the web server comes up.. And we could build such a severely sweet dynamic cache and stuff.. I'm gonna start drooling here. :)

Oh, and it would be super-easy to use XSL/T for the templates then too (actually, that's how OpenTopic works), which means a turing-complete template language. Sweetness.
Nathan Codding
old-school phpBB developer

GrimmReeper

Post by GrimmReeper »

In english please nathan ^_^

hsim

Post by hsim »

Java = good
Templates & Java = very easy and good :)
email me: hsim at gmx.li

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

templates & java & phpBB....whoa, can we invent a new superlative? :)
super fun rainbow colour sig

hsim

Post by hsim »

well who outta here owns a server featuring server side java and oracle database... me not :roll:

theFinn

Post by theFinn »

IMO: Java = Bad in web based environments.

The level of overhead and complexity that Java adds is unacceptable for a web application that is inteneded for wide use. Not to mention that most people don't have access to a java web application server.. Also I just truly dislike Java... Its just so convoluted... especally servlets and JSP..

PHP is a far better solution for web based apps :D
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor

josh
I am too lazy to register

Post by josh »

hsim wrote: well who outta here owns a server featuring server side java and oracle database... me not :roll:

You can download iPlanet from Sun (I think it's free), and use MySQL (or any other dbms for that matter).

hsim

Post by hsim »

tell my hoster to install it *s

nathan
Former Team Member

Post by nathan »

I can't disagree that it wouldn't be nearly as widely-useable as phpBB is. There are a lot more issues around the specifics of your server setup for a java-based app. But if you're doing something large-scale that needs to seriously perform, it's a pretty damn good solution.
Nathan Codding
old-school phpBB developer

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

Heh, nathan's off in a java dreamworld..... ;)
super fun rainbow colour sig

ares

Post by ares »

We checked the other day a normal high load of over 600 queries per second.

that's from the web masters mouth himself on the load..
i'm searching for the amount of posts per day or so..

but anyway, the website is www.hardocp.com and the forums are www.hardforum.com
hardware forum, mostly. and i'm not the maintainer, just trying to help out the web master. :)

are you sure its MySQL thats breaking?
under REALLY high stress, the forums will give out, and all new posts won't be counted in postcount, and threads aren't bumped, and if you start a new thread, the number of posts in it stays at 0 until the damn thing is fixed..

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”