load handling, # of users?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Martin.dk

Whoa!

Post by Martin.dk »

Threads: 75396

:!: 8O 8O 8O :!:
May the God of hope fill you with all joy and peace as you trust in Him, so that you may overflow with hope by the power of the Holy Spirit. Rom. 15:13

nathan
Former Team Member

Post by nathan »

The Black Pit wrote: Heh, nathan's off in a java dreamworld..... ;)

No, nathan just *!@#ing hates webapps. :)
Nathan Codding
old-school phpBB developer

nathan
Former Team Member

Post by nathan »

Oh yeah, and I kinda doubt phpBB2 can handle the sorta load the hocp boys would be putting on it... Hard to say without knowing what their hardware's like though.
Nathan Codding

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Hey dude, I recognized those stats instantly - holy sh*t, the HardForums would be a huge gain for phpBB if Kyle and Steve converted :)

It's definitely been MySQL crapping out, from what I've read about over the past months. The forums have been up and down so often, I think it's giving Cliff the workout of a lifetime :)

In fact, I recommended that Kyle come over here a couple weeks ago and check things out.

The [H] guys have some extremely high-end hardware powering their forums, but MySQL just can't handle the load. Does anybody know which DBMS would be best for the loads the [H]Forums would be putting on the server? It's two servers, one dedicated for the DB, one dedicated for serving everything up, AFAIR... so they can basically do whatever they have to do. Knowing them, the trouble of a day spent changing over would be nothing if they could just have the forums up for one day without problems, but what DBMS should they use?
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

ares

Post by ares »

Kanuck wrote: Hey dude, I recognized those stats instantly - holy sh*t, the HardForums would be a huge gain for phpBB if Kyle and Steve converted :)

It's definitely been MySQL crapping out, from what I've read about over the past months. The forums have been up and down so often, I think it's giving Cliff the workout of a lifetime :)

In fact, I recommended that Kyle come over here a couple weeks ago and check things out.

The [H] guys have some extremely high-end hardware powering their forums, but MySQL just can't handle the load. Does anybody know which DBMS would be best for the loads the [H]Forums would be putting on the server? It's two servers, one dedicated for the DB, one dedicated for serving everything up, AFAIR... so they can basically do whatever they have to do. Knowing them, the trouble of a day spent changing over would be nothing if they could just have the forums up for one day without problems, but what DBMS should they use?

lol!
yeah, we tend to post.. a lot. :D
we actually have 2 load-balancing servers for web server, and a dedicated database server.. yes, cliff is going out of his mind, bandwidth isn't the problem, and neither is hardware (although more can NEVER hurt. :))

okay.. i guess i know what the root of the problem is now.. MySQL..
i still like phpbb2 better, imo. its going on my personal little server. :)

NEURO-
I am too lazy to register

Post by NEURO- »

LOL, with reading the 1st post, I firstly thought there was an error in "load values", but no, it's the hell of a big loaded board :D

Boby Dimitrov
Name: Borislav Dimitrov

Post by Boby Dimitrov »

Flashkit also has quite busy board and it's vB too... However they don't seem to have server problems, with internet.com behind them 8O ...

Compare (note the members)

Flashkit.com

234604 threads in total
1040462 posts in total
Registered Members: 272802

Hardforum.com

170967 threads in total
2157835 posts in total
Registered Members: 32353

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

Kanuck wrote: Hey dude, I recognized those stats instantly - holy sh*t, the HardForums would be a huge gain for phpBB if Kyle and Steve converted :)

Oh c'mon, you should know....do I really have to spell it out? Okay,
O-R-A-C-L-E......bloody expensive though......
super fun rainbow colour sig

Skie

Post by Skie »

if you can afford it, oracle is the way to go. and since it runs on multiple OS's (linux, unix, windows (i think) ) you shouldn't have to worry about that aspect.

nathan
Former Team Member

Post by nathan »

Yeah, but we don't support Oracle yet. So you can feel free to drop 5 figures on a piece of software that just sits there taking up space and looking pretty, but it's not what I'd recommend :)
Nathan Codding

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”