upgrade hack uses "nobody" permissions

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Nothlit

upgrade hack uses "nobody" permissions

Post by Nothlit »

Is there any way I could modify Ashe's upgrade hack so that when it downloads new CVS files, it doesn't create them under the "nobody" username? I don't have root access on my server, so any files attributed to "nobody" become in effect locked from modification by me. I have to e-mail my host and have them chown the files whenever I need to edit them manually, and that gets annoying for them after a while, I think. ;)

Any ideas?

nathan
Former Team Member

Post by nathan »

You might be able to chown them as part of the upgrade hack... The problem is that the webserver (and therefore php) runs under the nobody userid, not under yours. The other option would be for the upgrade hack to chmod them to be world-writable. That wouldn't be very smart though, 'cause obviously then everybody, not just you, could write to them. yuck. I'd go with a chown in the upgrade hack..
Nathan Codding
old-school phpBB developer

WebSnail

Post by WebSnail »

Really not going to be popular for this suggestion I know but surely the simplest solution is to just use a CVS client on your desktop machine and upload the changed files...

That way you can edit files as required and avoid P**sing off your host ;)

Dunno about you personally but I'd have thought that this is more of an afterthought issue rather than an essential one to get RC1 or Final sorted?

Just me 2 penneth worth ;)

Ahem... Whoops... it works.. ;)
Last edited by WebSnail on Thu Dec 20, 2001 10:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

-->TEST BOARD <--

WebSnail

Post by WebSnail »

Eep...

Points at Kanuk and yells "It woz 'im guv'ner... I nev'r said it were a rush or ought!!!... Pleeeeaase Dunt kill me! ;)

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

What'd I do now?!?! :)
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

Nothlit

Post by Nothlit »

Heh, you know I never really thought about using my local CVS client to get updates and then upload them. When the upgrade hack came out, I used it and sorta forgot about the inner workings of CVS. ;) Your solution is by far the easiest, WebSnail.

WebSnail

Post by WebSnail »

Nothlit wrote: Heh, you know I never really thought about using my local CVS client to get updates and then upload them. When the upgrade hack came out, I used it and sorta forgot about the inner workings of CVS. ;) Your solution is by far the easiest, WebSnail.

Blimey!!?? Well there's a first ;)

Someone backup the DB now before proof of "useful" linked to yours truly is lost forever

At this point I fully expect someone like Pit to delete this post just to spite me... So ha... already screen captured it!! Thpttttt!

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”