XML-based version

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
cheezycrust

XML-based version

Post by cheezycrust »

I'm thinking of an XML - RDF - XSLT - version of phpBB. It would allow easier templating, and maybe reduce server load.

Has anyone else ever done something about it? It's just an idea I had, and I could learn to use the power of XML that way.

Basically, it would be so that every thread would be stored in its own XML file, which would then be read by the browser (so not by PHP) and parsed & rendered using XSLT.

It's only an idea... If I can find the time...

nathan
Former Team Member

Post by nathan »

Yeah, except we'd be throwing away compatibility with non-ultramodern browsers. No thanks.
Nathan Codding
old-school phpBB developer

Cy

Post by Cy »

people shouldn't be held back because of slow/non-developing technology/apps. Thats kinda a poor excuse for Opera, netscape, mozilla, IE would all support it.. is there any other browsers out there? that anyone uses?

tykeal

Post by tykeal »

Hey! I use Lynx from time to time still :twisted:

Kanuck
Former Team Member

Post by Kanuck »

Uhm, why not just write a template that spits out XML?
Kanuck
Former phpBB.com team member

nathan
Former Team Member

Post by nathan »

Will netscape 4.x do XSL/T on the client side?
Nathan Codding

emke

Post by emke »

nope

the thing that could be done is to validate XML on server side with the Sablotron extension.

The downfall is that not everyone have PHP installed with Sablotron extension.

That basically means that it's not possible maybe phpBB 4.0 :wink:

cheezycrust

It's an extension, not a replacement

Post by cheezycrust »

Maybe I wasn't clear on one point. I would still keep the normal code, so you can browse the forums as usual. I would only add the XML files, so browsers who can parse them (and there are more and more of them, or at least should be), could use it that way.

If nobody dares to create XML apps, then why should there be any browsers for them? This also makes the forums more embeddable in other applications.

But of course, these are only plans. Nothing more. And no, I won't be bugging the phpBB developers with my complaints if I can't get it working. This is a project I think I can do on my own, but if you really want to help, you're always welcome!

DK

Post by DK »

www.webstandards.org/

there is a way in Javascript to enable XMl parsing only to acceptable browsers, much the same way you enable style sheets to do the same.

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

I was browsing through PHP 4.1 in the wee hours and came across the experimental !!USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!! XML stuff. Just exactly what is PHP building toward here?
We should talk less, and say more.

nathan
Former Team Member

Post by nathan »

I for one am desperately hoping that PHP will some day ship with the XML and XSL/T extensions built in by default. Then.. Oh, let's see, about 2 years after they do that, we can MAYBE expect everybody to have that version of PHP installed, and we can start using it.

For comparison, PHP4 shipped over a year and a half ago (IIRC), and we're still supporting 3. Sucks.
Nathan Codding

Pit
Security Consultant

Post by Pit »

Hmm, I am now adding "webhosts who use php3" to my hate list, along with microsoft, the internet business cliche of having people smiling seen from above looking up, the number 9 when used in a price, the acronym "phpPP", GCSE's, excessive VAT, people who park in front of driveways and bus-stops, funding cuts and council-tax raises that happen simultaniously just after the local council has spent a few hundred thousand pounds on some stupid nonsensical sculpture nobody wanted and then demolished it again, the entire philosophy of making fast processors run slow and all that bull, getting told that I am predicted a C in IT by a teacher who needs to be reminded what ctrl + alt + delete does (yeah, I am resentful), and those stupid little sharp pull-rings inside of fruit juice cartons that leave a red mark on my finger.
And eff-ay-que, but that goes without saying. :)
super fun rainbow colour sig

SamG
Former Team Member
Name: Sam Graf

Post by SamG »

Well, there you go cheezycrust -- give PHP's experimental XML stuff a stroll. By the time you get it all figured out, maybe Pit will have purged the 'net of PHP3 installations :)
We should talk less, and say more.

NicoV

Post by NicoV »

huh, i think you're not really on target by saying many hosts don't upgrade fast enough... at this point of time the hosting industry isn';t really that lucrative, so hosts do everything to stay on track with current technologies...

I was looking for a host last month and a major requirement of mine was php4 support.. i didn't encounter that many hosts that still had php3 instead of php4 in their packages....

cheezycrust

But this is not for everybody

Post by cheezycrust »

Let me make another thing clear: phpBB was (and is) made to be useful on as much as possible evironments. And this is great! But my project will be 1) just an exercise, to see if I can do it, and make something useful from it, and 2) just for me! I will release it under the GPL, I will explain to others how I got it working, but I do not have the intention to make it work on as much platform as possible. If it works for me, that's good enough for me. If you can get it work for you, that's great, and I might consider changing my code a bit so the same stuff works on both platforms. But this is not the main objective!

I hope I don't sound too rude, or too egoistic, but I don't intend to make this a big, user-friendly project like (many) others are.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”