Register problem occurred after the forum upgrade (solved)

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
achievehigh.org

Register problem occurred after the forum upgrade (solved)

Post by achievehigh.org » Sat Apr 01, 2006 4:09 am

I read the instructions of this support forum and have searched for the topic that I am about to ask but did not find anything on it. I sought help so many times from my web host but they could not help me with it. So, I decided to seek help from you and will post my question in this message as below:

I am using phpBB2 forums. My forum fans keep having various sorts of problems including the login and the activation. I will present the issue in more details:

Before my forums were located at http://treatwidevision.us/phpBB2 then my web host company transferred it to the other domain but the transfer did not carry all of the data because while the forums were being transferred, fans at the old forum were still posting messages so I downloaded the backup file phpbb_db_backup.sql of the old forum from within the forum control panel. I then gave this backup file to my host company and they restored this backup file in achievehigh.org/phpBB2 for me to make the forums at more complete. My forum then changed the URL name from phpBB2 to forums which makes the current url. This is where all the problems occurred.
My forum members could not log in. After members tried to log in, they saw the error message that says the page could not be found or even after they entered in the passwords, the forums said that the users did not enter in the correct passwords. However, after reading emails of these users, as I understood they entered in the correct passwords. For other users, they presented exactly what log in problems they encountered in this thread. Please go to that thread to read members' trouble of login then you will understand more what log in problem my forums have.

Another problem is the activation link. Although my forums had changed to the URL but the phpBB2 in its previous URL still appears in the activation link. For instance, a new member registered at my forums then received this activation link that still has the part "phpBB2" in the URL. He/she complained that he/she could not activate the link. I saw that my forum users could not activate their forum accounts because the forums did not send the correct activation links to their mailboxes. How do I make the forums send out to new members the correct activation link that has the part "forums" instead of "phpBB2" in the activation URL?

What pages in my web account do I need to fix and what content and where exactly in those pages do I need to fix to get rid of these two "log in" and "activation link" problem? Could you please help? Thank you.
Last edited by achievehigh.org on Fri May 04, 2007 1:54 pm, edited 8 times in total.

achievehigh.org

Who is. . .?

Post by achievehigh.org » Sat Apr 01, 2006 12:50 pm

Can I know who is looking into my forum problems? Please reply so I know how complicated my forum problems could be. Thanks.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Apr 01, 2006 8:02 pm

HI, the problem is that your database has the old info in it for domain name and script path etc.
First , get this:
Auto Cookies MOD
then, unzip it to your computer,

then upload the included install folder, to your phpbb folder on the server.,

then , in your browser, go to:
yourdomain.com/yourphpbbb/install/cookie.php

then click the button to accept the settings it finds.

then delete the install folder.

Then you and all your members MUST do the cookie dance:

step 1. log out
step 2. clear your browser cookie
step 3. clear your browser cache/temporary internet files
step 4. close your browser
step 5. go back and test
step 6. hold one foot in the air and spin around three times
singing "Do the Cookie Dance, yeah, yeah, yeah."

done.
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.2 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

achievehigh.org

Much appreciated

Post by achievehigh.org » Tue Apr 04, 2006 11:47 am

I followed your instructions and a message appears on this page http://achievehigh.org/forums/install/cookie.php as below:

Forum Configuration Updated Successfully
You and your users must clear your browser cookies and cache, and close and restart you browsers for these settings to take effect.
Please delete this script and the install directory now!

Question: What script the message says I need to delete? I already deleted the folder "install" in my folder achievehigh.org/forums . Is that all I need to delete or is there some more script I still need to delete? The message above confused me.

I could log in fine. I am still waiting for my forum members to respond.

Lumpy Burgertushie, thank you much for helping me solve this headache activation and log in problem. Really appreciate your help.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Tue Apr 04, 2006 5:58 pm

the message just means to delete the install folder with the cookie script inside it like you have done.

robert

achievehigh.org

How to add the quick reply & quick edit functions?

Post by achievehigh.org » Fri Apr 07, 2006 10:29 am

Hi,

Thanks for your reply. Could you please show me how to add the quick reply and quick edit to the forums ? Fans of the forums have requested for these two functions in this thread. To understand the requests more, you may want to read the brief posts by Hallie on Jan 31 and rydseeker on Feb 10, 06. Thanks.

Something else but also related. . .
Where can I find the basics and easy-to-understand tutorials on phpBB? Also, thanks for this.
Last edited by achievehigh.org on Tue May 02, 2006 10:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.

~AJK~

Post by ~AJK~ » Fri Apr 07, 2006 12:30 pm

There are a couple of KB articles that you may want to review. They will walk you through installing a MOD, this includes running the SQL commands that a MOD may require.There is also an automated utility that many people use to install MODs for them. It is called EasyMOD. It will take a MOD that follows the phpBB MODing guidelines and automatically make all changes necessary to install the MOD. Note: The MODS that you will find at phpBB are designed for a clean version of phpBB (no other mods) running the default subSilver template. Support for installing MODs should be directed in the post where you found them, even if it is from another site.
If the solutions posted above worked can you add [SOLVED] to beginning the subject of your first post to help others? Click on the "EDIT" button next to your FIRST post in the thread.
Click the following: Help for Newbies | Support Request Template
No PM's Please

achievehigh.org

Clarify please

Post by achievehigh.org » Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:39 pm

I did not want to post my questions somewhere else but decided to post them here since it's a continuation of my previous posts.

On this page http://easymod.sourceforge.net/readme/#introduction it says, under "Installing EasyMOD":
3. Before proceeding, make sure subSilver style is installed on your board and also, make sure the English language files are present.
Question 1:
I have the subSilver skin/style installed. I see it in the "Styles Administration" in the Admin control panel of my forums. However, I do not set that as the default skin that new users would see after they registered at my forums. If you log on to my forums, you will see the Aqua skin instead of the subSilver. Do I need to change the Aqua to subSilver before proceeding to install the EasyMOD? Or, is it OK to proceed the installation even if the default skin is Aqua as long as the subSilver is installed somewhere in my "forums" folder?

Question 2:
What English language files are they talking about? What is its exact file name and its location in my "forums" folder?
Is the file name lang_easymod_english.php which is located in the admin/mods/easymod/languages/ directory? I saw that information in the Step 1 on this page http://easymod.sourceforge.net/readme/#faq_stp5_lang . I am asking to make sure that I understand things correctly.

Question 3:
Under the "Installing MODs with EasyMOD," on this page http://easymod.sourceforge.net/readme/#faq_stp5_lang , step 6 says: Click on "Install MODs" under the "MOD Center" header in the left-hand-side panel.
I do not see "MOD Center" or anything about MOD in the left-hand side of the Admin control panel of my forums. How come? Where/when can I see the "MOD Center"? I have not installed the EasyMOD or any MODs yet but I want to understand the instructions for installing anything related to MOD before proceeding with the installations.

Thanks. I hope you can help me answer the above 3 questions.
Last edited by achievehigh.org on Tue May 02, 2006 9:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~AJK~

Re: Clarify please

Post by ~AJK~ » Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:26 pm

achievehigh.org wrote: I did not want to post my questions somewhere else but decided to post them here since it's a continuation of my previous posts.
However, EasyMod support is supposed to be posted here: http://area51.phpbb.com/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=15
If the solutions posted above worked can you add [SOLVED] to beginning the subject of your first post to help others? Click on the "EDIT" button next to your FIRST post in the thread.
No PM's Please

achievehigh.org

How to prevent hackings?

Post by achievehigh.org » Fri Apr 14, 2006 10:06 pm

When my forums were at its previous URL, I had encountered four hacks in a few weeks, when hackers were targeting dot us sites. I want to ask if you can suggest me some ways of preventing hackers from hacking into my forums like before, or at least making it harder for them to hack my forums. I backup my forums every few minutes or half an hour every day! It's ridiculous how much time I have spent to get things fixed after those four consecutive hacks and backing up countless times every day. I asked my web host to increase the security and after the first hack, they promised that such hacking activity would not occur but my forums had three more hack after that! I cannot rely on my web host.
After the forums were hacked at the dot us domain, my web host transferred them to the new location. I want to redirect the dot us to my forums at its new address to get more visitors but I am afraid that would invite hackers who are against dot us sites even faster. Not being able to redirect fans of dot us to dot org has caused me a big loss in forum members. The time between January 2006 (forums were born) and the first hack, my forums were gaining around one hundred members weekly but after it was moved to its new location, the membership gain has been so slow. I want to secure the forums to increase memberships.
Please suggest me some ways to deal with the hacking problems and the forum security. It's so stressful when I do not have time but have to waste time to fix a hacked discussion board some time ago. Thank you for your understanding. I appreciate your help.
Last edited by achievehigh.org on Tue May 02, 2006 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie » Sat Apr 15, 2006 2:40 am

are you really using version 2.0.8 ? if so, then that is why you are getting hacked. you are 12 versions out of date and just asking for the hackers to find you.

update immediately.

that will stop the hackers.

you will also need to make sure that the hackers did not leave anything behind to allow them to get in.

you will need to run the toolkit found here:
Admin Toolkit

install it, it will let you find any admin accounts that should not be there, it has a security scan that will check all your forums for any html or other stuff that should not be there.

then, just stay up to date and you will be fine.

robert

achievehigh.org

Post by achievehigh.org » Sun Apr 30, 2006 11:34 am

Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: are you really using version 2.0.8 ? if so, then that is why you are getting hacked. you are 12 versions out of date and just asking for the hackers to find you.

update immediately.

you will also need to make sure that the hackers did not leave anything behind to allow them to get in.

Admin Toolkit

install it, it will let you find any admin accounts that should not be there, it has a security scan that will check all your forums for any html or other stuff that should not be there.

robert

Thanks, Robert. My web host gisol.com promised to upgrade the very out of date forums for me but they broke their promises, like they always do. They charged me much money but do not give me many good offers. I've complained then they installed the live chat support and offered much more server space and even unlimited bandwidth now but the old customers cannot have their web host packages upgraded, meaning I did not benefit from the new offers that got offered because of my complaints and suggestions for improvement. I am stuck with a very old forum board, still. Gisol's services are terrible a lot of times. Now, I will have to manually upgrade the forums to prevent hackers.

Robert, I've read your instructions. Could you please show me how to upgrade the forums ? Where do I download the newly released forum version? What are all the steps I need to take to upgrade my forums? Please provide further assistance. If I don't understand the whole process or mistakenly did something wrong then the whole forum would be gone or inactive for days. I hope someone can help me, if Robert is unavailable. Thank you.
Last edited by achievehigh.org on Tue May 02, 2006 9:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

~AJK~

Post by ~AJK~ » Mon May 01, 2006 12:57 pm

Since you are so far out of date, you may want to edit out the links to your site (You are just advertising your site to hackers).

The following lists three upgrade options. For phpBB's 'official' options, click HERE. Look at ALL of them before you decide what is best for you:
Option I wrote: This option puts a clean phpBB on your board, you WILL have to add your mods back in. Your data (phpBB and MODS) should remain.
  1. Download phpBB 2.0.XX (latest version)
  2. Backup your original config.php
  3. Copy the new 2.0.XX files to your forum directory
  4. Copy your original config.php back to your forum
  5. Browse to http://yourdomain.tld/install/update_to_latest.php (Report any FAILURES or ERRORS here!)
  6. Delete the install and contrib directories.
    For those with Mod(ifications)
  7. Reinstall Mods (No SQL should need to be processed as you are only replacing code in the forum.
  8. Relax, you are done (Unless you want to make sure and run the Auto Cookies MOD.
Option II wrote: This option applies just the code changes made since the last update.
  1. Determine your current version
  2. Backup your board files!
  3. Click HERE and download EVERY code change from your version through the current version.
  4. Open up the oldest code change file and follow the instructions. (If you can't find the code that the instructions say to change, it is probably because of a mod, you will have to do some searching.)
  5. Repeat the last step, in order, from the oldest code changes to the most recent.
  6. Create an install directory on your boards directory
  7. Copy over update_to_latest.php to the install directory
  8. Browse to http://yourdomain.tld/install/update_to_latest.php (Report any FAILURES or ERRORS here!)
  9. Delete the install directory.

Common Mistakes wrote: Biggest Mistake -- Updating board files and forgetting to run update_to_latest.php
Second Biggest -- Running update_to_latest.php but forgetting to update board files.
Third Biggest -- Deleting your config.php file. Follow this:KB - I accidently deleted my config.php file. What do I do?
No PM's Please

Jim_UK
Former Team Member

Post by Jim_UK » Mon May 01, 2006 1:13 pm

~AJK~ wrote: Since you are so far out of date, you may want to edit out the links to your site

I was going to suggest that but for another reason. I don't think I have ever seen so many links posted in a single thread and they were not required after the first post. Please remove them all as per ~AJK~ advice or you will surely be hacked again.

Jim
The truth is out there.
Unfortunately they will not let you anywhere near it!

achievehigh.org

I upgraded my forums.

Post by achievehigh.org » Mon May 08, 2006 2:47 am

To help you understand what is going on faster, I quoted the previous replies below:
~AJK~ wrote: Since you are so far out of date, you may want to edit out the links to your site (You are just advertising your site to hackers).

The following lists three upgrade options. For phpBB's 'official' options, click HERE. Look at ALL of them before you decide what is best for you:
Option I wrote:This option puts a clean phpBB on your board, you WILL have to add your mods back in. Your data (phpBB and MODS) should remain.
  1. Download phpBB 2.0.XX (latest version)
  2. Backup your original config.php
  3. Copy the new 2.0.XX files to your forum directory
  4. Copy your original config.php back to your forum
  5. Browse to http://yourdomain.tld/install/update_to_latest.php (Report any FAILURES or ERRORS here!)
  6. Delete the install and contrib directories.
    For those with Mod(ifications)
  7. Reinstall Mods (No SQL should need to be processed as you are only replacing code in the forum.
  8. Relax, you are done (Unless you want to make sure and run the Auto Cookies MOD.

I chose the first option and also upgraded my forums http://achievehigh.org/forums this afternoon. Thank you much for coming to the rescue with the useful information.

I have a concern regarding the option I. For step 5, it says, "Browse to http://yourdomain.tld/install/update_to_latest.php (Report any FAILURES or ERRORS here!)." I entered in http://achievehigh.org.tld/install/update_to_latest.php but the page could not be found then I figured maybe it was this URL http://achievehigh.org/forums/install/u ... latest.php then I tried that and it worked. I don't keep a record of the success upgrade report to type out what I saw on the screen after browsing to the page http://achievehigh.org/forums/install/u ... latest.php but I think the upgrade was successful. I tried to look at the bottom of the forums for something like phpBB2 version 2.0.20 to confirm that the upgrade really went through successfully but did not see it.
Lumpy Burgertushie wrote: are you really using version 2.0.8 ? if so, then that is why you are getting hacked. you are 12 versions out of date and just asking for the hackers to find you.

update immediately.

Admin Toolkit

robert

I tried to access the Admin Toolkit but the URL provided in earlier post above did not work. Could you please inform me the URL? I am not familiar with the Admin Toolkit so I need your help. Thanks.

Newly added question Tues May 9, 06:
I already backed up the config.php file then dragged it from my computer to my ftp account but was unsure if it really replaced the config.php from the phpBB2 version 2.0.20. Sometimes, my ftp account got problem and did not replace files even if it looked like it replaced. My question now is can I reupload the config.php file after I already deleted the install and contrib directories after the forum upgrade from version 2.0.8 to 2.0.20? It would not hurt my forums in any way, right?

Another question:
After upgrading the forums from version 2.0.8 to 2.0.20, I discovered that the quote function

Code: Select all

[quote="username"][/quote]
does not work. Please take a look at my posts ex. the one dated 08 May 2006 03:04 pm in this thread then you will see exactly what is going on. My username there is "admin."

Thanks.
Last edited by achievehigh.org on Sun May 14, 2006 7:10 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”