Two issues

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Peter holmgren

Two issues

Post by Peter holmgren »

Ok... I've been a happy user of an installation which worked fined, and I saw no reason to upgrade. Now i thought - Well, let's give it a shot. So I backed up my database and installed the new upgrade. After fighting ½ an hour with getting a download, I completely erased all the old files and uploaded the brand new ones. Installation went well - until I uploaded the database.

Now it says:

Error in obtaining userdata

DEBUG MODE

SQL Error : 1054 Unknown column 'user_login_tries' in 'field list'

SELECT user_id, username, user_password, user_active, user_level, user_login_tries, user_last_login_try FROM phpbb_v*****_users WHERE username = 'Peter Holmgren'

Line : 65
File : login.php

"Fine!", thought to myself, and downloaded the good old version I know so well, and re installed it again. And wouldn't you know? It works!

A wise man once said, "Never change a running system". I've just found out how right he was.

battye
Extension Customisations
Extension Customisations

Post by battye »

It appears that you simply haven't run update_to_latest.php (the file which handles SQL updates) :)
Customisations Team Member

https://github.com/battye/php-array-parser - Give it a Star! :D

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Re: Two issues

Post by pentapenguin »

Peter holmgren wrote: I saw no reason to upgrade
[snip]
A wise man once said, "Never change a running system". I've just found out how right he was.

While that's usually true, it doesn't hold true for software updates. Just as you wouldn't hook a unpatched and unprotected computer to a internet connection, you shouldn't run unpatched versions of phpBB. There are patches and updates for a reason -- they fix bugs and security holes. And so you'll have an easier time next time around...see this article in the knowledge base on upgrading phpBB.
Support Resources: Support Request Template
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

Peter holmgren

Post by Peter holmgren »

battye wrote: It appears that you simply haven't run update_to_latest.php (the file which handles SQL updates) :)

Thank you! I'm still on the learning curve, but improving. So, in my absence I simply missed a key upgrade, that would solve the problem.

How about that. Does that mean, that at present, I have no way of "upgrading" my DB?

Peter holmgren

Re: Two issues

Post by Peter holmgren »

pentapenguin wrote:
Peter holmgren wrote:I saw no reason to upgrade
[snip]

While that's usually true, it doesn't hold true for software updates. Just as you wouldn't hook a unpatched and unprotected computer to a internet connection, you shouldn't run unpatched versions of phpBB. There are patches and updates for a reason -- they fix bugs and security holes. And so you'll have an easier time next time around...see this article in the knowledge base on upgrading phpBB.

Thank you for that one! I'll have a look at it. So much to learn.

Allright. I wasn't exactly thinking security measures here. Who would hack a buddhist forum anyway? *lol*

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

Well, unfortunately hackers will attack in forum they possibly can. :evil: :evil: :evil: So to make sure that doesn't happen to you, be sure to stay up to date by getting the phpBB update alerts: http://www.phpbb.com/support/ You will only get notices of new phpBB updates -- nothing else and no spam! :)
If you need professional assistance with your board, please contact me for my reasonable rates.

mw-dnb

Post by mw-dnb »

your forums topic has nothing to do with it and the software version number has everything to do with it.

i've been removing the version from the software since around 2002. (as scanners look for 2.x.x etc)

google php/phpbb worm anyone? lol
The brighest light burns out the quickest and you burn so very bright.
www.elementsofbass.com | For the breakbeat hardcore

pentapenguin
Former Team Member

Post by pentapenguin »

mw-dnb wrote: i've been removing the version from the software since around 2002. (as scanners look for 2.x.x etc)

You do realize though that just because you don't have a version number visible that the hacks still work?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”