long posts getting cut off

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
cruiserweight

long posts getting cut off

Post by cruiserweight »

I apologize as I'm sure there is an answer for this already; I just can't find it. I'm running phpbb on windoze with mysql4. It always cuts off long post withou warning. I've seen the 'odbc' about changing the db/msaccess and mssql-odbc files, but this did not work for me. thank you very much in advance for your understanding and patience. best.

espicom

Post by espicom »

Are you using the direct MySQL connector (database type set to "mysql" or "mysql4" in config.php), or ODBC? The MySQL connector is controlled by php.ini, but there is no limit that can be set in there on post size.

However, the web server can have a limit on the maximum size of data posted via the POST method. For many services, this is 8 megabytes, but some hosts set it quite small. If you create a file containing the following and upload it as "phpinfo.php" to your website, it will tell you what you want to know:

Code: Select all

<?php phpinfo(); ?>
You want to run that in your browser, and search for the value next to "post_max_size".
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer

cruiserweight

Oops! MSSQL not MySQL

Post by cruiserweight »

Yikes!!! Major apologies. My original post should have read 'MSSQL', not MySql (habit, I guess). That said:

post_max_size on php.ini says '8M'. my phpbb config file says 'mssql'. That would seem to indicate that it's not using odbc. Querying the database directly (with hand-coded php) gives the same truncated result, and i'm stuck using some mickey mouse mylittleadmin tool -- which doesn't show the complete entry, only a few words and (...) -- so i've no idea what's actually in the database.

any ideas? thanks very much.

SpacePower

Post by SpacePower »

I had the same problem with MS-SQL-Server. Long postings were cut. Didin't work for me so I decided to use mysql. Gets phantastic until the new update 2.0.20 :x
Power to the Peaceful
My forum(s):
http://www.stayhuman.org/phpBB2
http://www.spearhead-home.com/phpBB2
My website:

cruiserweight

Post by cruiserweight »

certainly there must be a fix for this, no? I mean, the whole idea of a database is to store information. If it can't do that propertly, than it's essentially garbage.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

cruiserweight wrote: certainly there must be a fix for this, no? I mean, the whole idea of a database is to store information. If it can't do that propertly, than it's essentially garbage.

well, mssql is what it is. you can make some changes to it, but in the long run you would much better off using mysql instead. however, in it's default setting, it has limits for this as well. the limits are just much higher.

the bottom line is that this is a bulletin board, if you want to post gigantic articles, put them in a web page and link to them.

luck,
robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If nobody is in the forest, does a tree really fall?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”