Enable account activation

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Anthron

Enable account activation

Post by Anthron »

ok, i'm wondering what Enable account activation does. could someone explain it? i think it makes it so that only admins can approve registrations or something, what is it?

Nothlit

Post by Nothlit »

[none] means that no activation is necessary...users register and can post immediately

[user] means an e-mail will be sent to the address provided...the user must click an activation link within that e-mail before being allowed to use their account

[admin] means the administrator must approve the user's account before he/she will be allowed to post

:)

Anthron

Post by Anthron »

if i select admin, is there a list of users awaiting activation? if so, where can i find it?

trumpet

Post by trumpet »

if you JUST selected it, no. the way it was before would be what it was doing, so if you had it on none, they could register without activating. When you have admin activation on I believe you get an email notifying you that someone needs approval...Might be a PM though

ideavirus

Post by ideavirus »

lets say, i have chosen the user option...which means an email will be sent to the user and he needs to activate..
For the email to be sent to him to activation..i guess...the mail server, SMTP has to specified in the admin section..right..??

I just wanted to know, if i was right in that...:)

thanks in advance
Through the Unknown, We'll find the NEW !
|DotGlum| My Online Identity !
[Dear SunShine] : A Beautiful Mind | [MyBrandInc] : Bitten by StartUP Bug !?!

Anthron

Post by Anthron »

trumpet wrote: if you JUST selected it, no. the way it was before would be what it was doing, so if you had it on none, they could register without activating. When you have admin activation on I believe you get an email notifying you that someone needs approval...Might be a PM though

thx, that's helpful. a "pending users" list in the admin center might be helpful...

theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn »

ideavirus wrote: lets say, i have chosen the user option...which means an email will be sent to the user and he needs to activate..
For the email to be sent to him to activation..i guess...the mail server, SMTP has to specified in the admin section..right..??

No, the SMTP mail section is ONLY for if you don't want (or can't) use the built in PHP mail() function. If mail() works fine for you then you don't need to enter any SMTP information.
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net

puyopuy

Post by puyopuy »

Nothlit wrote: [none] means that no activation is necessary...users register and can post immediately

[user] means an e-mail will be sent to the address provided...the user must click an activation link within that e-mail before being allowed to use their account

[admin] means the administrator must approve the user's account before he/she will be allowed to post

:)

If I choose activation by user, but the user never activate his account, can we know who is not activated?

Is there any function that all messages must be approved by PM before it it post ?

Thanks
:lol:

Decoder

Post by Decoder »

i had that set up
but when people got there emails
it had a link in it like http:///....................
but without my domain name in there
it was just a broken link
how do i fix?

CourtJesterBob

Broken link on Enable account activation

Post by CourtJesterBob »

I have the same thing. When my users sign up they get an email sent to them but it looks like this: (I have replaced my actual domain with 'www.mydomain.com' for privacy and removed the activation key)

http://www.mydomain.com\/profile.php?mode=activate&act_key=

What concerns me is the backslash character '\'. If they remove that one character they can successfully activate their accounts.

Does anyone know why this is happening and how i can fix it?

puyopuy

Post by puyopuy »

Last edited by puyopuy on Thu Jan 24, 2002 8:24 am, edited 3 times in total.

nico

Problems with mail() - user registration

Post by nico »

theFinn wrote: No, the SMTP mail section is ONLY for if you don't want (or can't) use the built in PHP mail() function. If mail() works fine for you then you don't need to enter any SMTP information.

Hello there,

i am about to present your forum within my company as a possible solution. However when i installed it on our webserver and turned on the user account activation i encountered a problem : after a user enters his/her data and hits on submit a page shows up stating a mail had been sent to the user ... so far so good ... but these mails never show up.
    Ive successfully used the mail() function on this server(IIS) but phpbb seems to have problems here.

Any idea if there is a lil bug involved here ? Since im not fond of reconfiguring a server that cost already over 500k to install an unessesary SMTP Service id apreciate help here.

Finally a thumbs up to the team - doing good work there !

greets

North

puyopuy

Post by puyopuy »

Hello-

I know what cause this error, but you have to hard code profile.php

Suggestion 1:
    • open profile.php
      go to line #1181
      change $server_name to your web server address
      change $path to your forum path

example: for this testing forum http://phpbb.sourceforge.net/phpBB2/
      change $server_name to "phpbb.sourceforge.net/"
      change $path to "phpBB2"

Suggestion 2:
    • open config.php
      add following lines
      $HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_HOST'] = "phpbb.sourceforge.net/";
      $HTTP_SERVER_VARS['PATH_INFO'] = "phpBB2";
    this error cause by $HTTP_SERVER_VARS['HTTP_HOST'] in line #1143 it return null value. This is just an temporary solution, it should fix by phpBB team.

I hope it can help
    :lol:
    Last edited by puyopuy on Thu Jan 24, 2002 8:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Eelke
    QA Team
    Name: Eelke Blok

Post by Eelke »

Guys, could you please consider trimming your quotes? It's annoying in E-mail when people forget to trim out the unncesarry passages, but on a forum it's even worse, the text is right there on the same page, for crying out loud. Please only use quoting to set the context of your post, not to repeat entire (previous) posts.

In fact, I might consider removing the Quote-button from my forum. If people need to use the quote-tag manually, they might give it a bit more consideration.

nico

Thanks Eelke

Post by nico »

oh how much help your post is indeed to this thread.
    thanks again - besides ... can u contribute anything to the theme of this thread?

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”