Which Style Looks Better?

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Dzien Dobry

Post by Dzien Dobry »

There is no doubt that phpBB 2.0 looks clean and elegant. vB looks extremely busy to me, and after using it for a long time, I'm still annoyed by its cluttered look.

There seems to be a minor design change to phpBB 2.0 now, which I never noticed before, and I wonder what everyone else thinks. Unless I just didn't notice it before, active threads are now marked with a bold black arrow and a light square. I think they would look much better without that extra emphasis. This look seems too top-heavy for me; It looks confusing in some way. Perhaps I'm imagining things and nothing has changed but I think the board looked much better the way it was before.

Does everyone like the bold black arrow and light square or do you think that the orange icon all alone with a thread looks the best?
AlieXai

Post by AlieXai »

> I think they would look much better without that extra emphasis.
> This look seems too top-heavy for me.

Don't like it? Why, Sir, that's what the templates are for...
theFinn
Founder and ex-Contributor

Post by theFinn »

Umm the arrow and orange square serve a purpose. If you click on it it'll take you to the first unread post in that topic.

However, though the wonders of templates you can move that icon to whereever you like it (or remove it entirly).

WE on the dev team quite like it where it is though :)
James 'theFinn' Atkinson
Founder & ex-Contributor
http://www.thefinn.net
Dzien Dobry

Post by Dzien Dobry »

theFinn wrote: The arrow and orange square serve a purpose. If you click on it it'll take you to the first unread post in that topic.

I didn't even know that. (I wonder how many others didn't know its meaning). I always thought that the icon was trying to convey a complicated message that was somehow answered by the link next to it. Hieroglyphics written by programmers elude me. Just my 2 cents, but I think it would be easier for an average user to figure out its meaning by just using it. If only the icon looked interesting enough and inviting enough to click. :idea:
theFinn wrote: However, though the wonders of templates you can move that icon to whereever you like it (or remove it entirly).

Since it serves such a useful purpose, I'm going to keep it.

I think a subtle white arrow without the square would be an improvement. I'm sure there is something better. Would I be able to replace the default icon with another and have the same functionality?
psoTFX
Former Team Member

Post by psoTFX »

erm, the icon is exactly the same as the goto last post icon ... the square is a page ... if you hover your mouse over it it'll tell you what it does ... :)
Dzien Dobry

Post by Dzien Dobry »

psoTFX wrote: ... if you hover your mouse over it it'll tell you what it does ... :)

I have certainly noticed this feature on regular web pages but didn't even suspect that such a useful feature might be active here. Would everything work the same if I replaced the default icon with one of my own choosing?
ffeingol
Former Team Member

Post by ffeingol »

Dzien Dobry wrote: Would everything work the same if I replaced the default icon with one of my own choosing?

Yes. You are just changing the cosmetics of a template. That will have no effect on the underlying code.

Frank
Dzien Dobry

Post by Dzien Dobry »

I am extremely pleased. Thanks everyone. Merry Christmas!
NeuroDoc

Post by NeuroDoc »

psoTFX wrote: erm, the icon is exactly the same as the goto last post icon ... the square is a page ... if you hover your mouse over it it'll tell you what it does ... :)

Using RC-2 I don't get any hover text. :( It's a great feature, being able to jump to the first unread post. Just need a better way of explaining the icon. But since I am a new phpBB user (tester really as I haven't made my forums public yet), can you tell me what template has the icon key that appears at the bottom of the page? I would then edit this key to include this icon.

Can anyone give me some ideas as to why I am not getting any hover text? I am using IE 5.0, and hover text works with my own site. Thanks.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”