Help blocking spammers

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Anglophobe

Help blocking spammers

Post by Anglophobe »

I know this was already posted, but I can't find it:

I read something about changing the code for the "I Accept" button under the Registration Agreement, but I can't remember how to do it. The basic idea was changing the name of the variable or something like that. Could somebody please tell me how to do it?

Lumpy Burgertushie

Re: Help blocking spammers

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Anglophobe wrote: I know this was already posted, but I can't find it:

I read something about changing the code for the "I Accept" button under the Registration Agreement, but I can't remember how to do it. The basic idea was changing the name of the variable or something like that. Could somebody please tell me how to do it?

you need to give us exactly what you want to change and why, that way we can help you.

robert
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

Anglophobe

Post by Anglophobe »

sorry...

Specifically the post I had seen explained how to change part of the code on the "I Agree and am over the age of thirteen" link when you register for a board. The goal was that a bot searching for this link would not see it, whereas there would be no effect on human users. If no one knows how to do this, I suppose I can just tinker around and find out, I just didn't want to do something stupid if I can get a walkthrough. Thanks.

Lumpy Burgertushie

Post by Lumpy Burgertushie »

Anglophobe wrote: sorry...

Specifically the post I had seen explained how to change part of the code on the "I Agree and am over the age of thirteen" link when you register for a board. The goal was that a bot searching for this link would not see it, whereas there would be no effect on human users. If no one knows how to do this, I suppose I can just tinker around and find out, I just didn't want to do something stupid if I can get a walkthrough. Thanks.

ok, you probably saw a post by me, I am the one that promotes this little tweak by espicom. this will help, but the spam bots have already found a way to work around it on some boards.

to keep the spammers out:

1. stay updated
2. DO NOT allow guest posting anywhere
3. turn on visual confirmation in the admin panel
4.set user activation to " user" or " admin"
espicom wrote: It is a simple fix, but I will not post it as a regular MOD, because customization is the key here. The RegBots work by going directly to the submission of the form information, bypassing the various agreement screens by simply setting "agreed=true". Fortunately, web form variables are CasE-sEnsiTivE, so simply changing the all-lower-case name "agreed" to mixed-case will still allow manual registrations to work, but will simply present a bot's request with the COPPA form, and not make any entries into your users table.

The affected files are:

admin/admin_users.php
includes/usercp_avatar.php
includes/usercp_register.php

With a text editor, search for "agreed", and replace it with your own choice of mixed case, or even something like "IAmInAgreement". As long as all references to this variable are identical, registration and profile changes work as before... except for those trying to bypass the system.
I'm baaaaaccckkkk. still doing work on donation basis. PM your needs.

Premium phpBB 3.3 Styles by PlanetStyles.net

If a tree falls in the forest and nobody is there, does it make a sound?

custmguru®

Post by custmguru® »

so is most spamming done by bots? I thought the image verification would stop them cold.

petes

Post by petes »

custmguru® wrote: so is most spamming done by bots? I thought the image verification would stop them cold.
Ditto here... I thought it would stop bots, but on one of my boards that has it activated I regularly get new registrations from what I assume are bots... unless it's some spammers using real people to do it. I hardly think my site is worth their time to do that though. They are for MP3 sites and the like. I have activation set to admin so they can't do anything... BUT they do show up as new users with profiles with links to their stupid sites... until I get a chance to delete them. :?

custmguru®

Post by custmguru® »

all of the ones ive seen are pretty much from .ru email addresses. can you keep .ru emails from being able to register accounts?

Anglophobe

Post by Anglophobe »

Hmmm...I assume you could do this in the same way you block usernames with certain strings in them...I got rid of all the gambling spammers by blocking usernames *gambl* I suppose if you got into the code you could set it to do the same in the email field for *.ru Great idea! Except I get a lot of other stuff on the board I admin...Anyhow, I set it to visual confirmation, user activation, and the trick described above, and haven't had any problems since (I was getting one or two per day). I'm happy :D

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”