Using PhpBB as an email listserver

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Tom Clark

Using PhpBB as an email listserver

Post by Tom Clark »

Hi,

I am doing a product evaluation for a non-profit office that wants a bulletin board that works like a email listserver. Is there a way to get a forum to accept posts via email and then send that post out to all subscribers and then keep a copy of the post in the forum/topic?

I have thought that a workaround could be for people to post one message in a "email list" forum and check the "notify me when a reply is posted" box. Then instead of sending out a generic notice, the system could send out the actual message. If someone felt they needed to respond, then they could login to the system and post a response?

Anyway, for our purposes we want authorized persons to be able to email each other through phpbb and to keep those emails in the forum as an archive. Any thoughts?
Tom Clark
Noobarmy

Post by Noobarmy »

this sounds VERY complicated. to evaluate u want:
  • Posts to be done via email
  • Emails then to be sent to ALL users notifying htem of said posts
  • Then being able to reply
Where there might be flaws in this:

Posts to be done via email -> How the hell would this work? Where would emails be sent to? How would they be processed?

Emails then to be sent to ALL users notifying htem of said posts -> I'm sure thsi might be acheiveable

Then being able to reply -> also acheiveable.

sounds rather complicated.............. :P
MarkTheDaemon
Former Team Member
Name: Mark Barnes

Post by MarkTheDaemon »

It's actually not that complicated, and someone asked the exact same question a couple of days ago on this very forum. They searched and found a add-on that will do exactly what you require

Try searcing on this forum and if that fails Google :)

Mark
Noobarmy

Post by Noobarmy »

well beein noobish i find most things complicated :D
jwunderly

Post by jwunderly »

MarkTheDaemon wrote: It's actually not that complicated, and someone asked the exact same question a couple of days ago on this very forum. They searched and found a add-on that will do exactly what you require

CM4F
John (A cranky old man. "Looking for an echo ...")
using any control-panel install/update is like shooting yourself in the foot. It won't kill you, but you're really going to hobble around until it heals.
Using the wrong tools (Front Page, DreamWeaver) gives the same results
Do not PM me for Support!
espicom

Post by espicom »

Tom Clark of TAC fame?

You can add "topic notification" to PHPBB with the capability to email the contents of each message to those who subscribe, but it requires that they come to the board to post replies. There is an on-again, off-again effort to have two-way email to the board by a few people, but it requires some specialize access to the servers involved to set up.

de ka9vnv
Jeff
Fixing 1016/1030/1034 Errors | (obsolete link) | MySQL 4.1/5.x Client Error | phpBBv2 Logo in ACP
Support requests via PM are ignored!
"To be fully alive is to feel that everything is possible." - Eric Hoffer
Dave Bean

Re: Using PhpBB as an email listserver

Post by Dave Bean »

I've had the very same question on why I need to run somewhat duplicate applications. We run phpBB for the message board and Yahoo list server for proactive emails. Sure seems like there would be a great benefit to be able to combine the functions.

The part I'm not sure about is how do we know the emails in that will post are coming in from who we think they are?
Building Internet Communities
www.ColoradoHealth.info

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”