Account activation

This is an archive of the phpBB 2.0.x support forum. Support for phpBB2 has now ended.
Forum rules
Following phpBB2's EoL, this forum is now archived for reference purposes only.
Please see the following announcement for more information: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1385785
Jerry_102

Post by Jerry_102 » Sat May 06, 2006 4:37 pm

I noticed that you registered on my php board, I also see that you didn't recieive an email on your account aciivation. Do you think that there's a problem with the email server on the host?

I have another php program that sends out email and it works using the same email address as the one on the php board. Any thoughts on this?

I sure hate the thought of deleting the board and reinstalling but with out the email capability, my users are gonna scream.

Jerry_102

Post by Jerry_102 » Sat May 06, 2006 6:49 pm

I went ahead and did a complete new install on my site under a different directory and I'm still haveing the same problem. So, it must be a problem with my host.

Thanks for everybody's help.

dghn

Post by dghn » Sun May 07, 2006 6:13 am

I'm actually having the opposite problem. setting the board to user activation works fine. If i set it to admin activation I (the admin) don't get the emails.
Any thoughts?

I did a little testing myself. I have several email accounts setup for the domain. I have successfully sent email back and forth between email accounts on the server. The user gets the email after registering, whether it is set to admin authorization or user. So it would seem only the admins are not recieving the email.

Also the site has ben up and running for 18 months it's just recently that this has become an issue.

Your phpBB board URL: Forum
Template(s) used: subblack, wowmoonclawo1, Wowhorde, WowAlliance
Any and all MODs: easymod, xfire, itemstats, phpfetch all (for the website), Extreme Styles,Callite,Album, A ranks mod, possibly 1 or 2 others
Do you use a port of phpBB:
Version of phpBB: 2.17
Version of PHP: ver 4.4.0
Which database server and version: MySql ver 4.0.22
Host: Parcom
Did someone install this for you/who: no
Is this an upgrade/from what to what: no
Is this a conversion/from what to what: no
Have you searched for your problem: yep
If so, what terms did you try:
State the nature of your problem: registration emain to admin
Do you have a test account for us: no but can make one up quick
If so, please have it ready in case a Support Team Member asks for it.

Jerry_102

Post by Jerry_102 » Sun May 07, 2006 12:52 pm

I found out that if I use the SMTP option, the email works for the "user" option for Account Activation.

Does anybody know what the SMTP feature does over the phpMail function?

karlsemple
Former Team Member

Post by karlsemple » Sun May 07, 2006 1:30 pm

the mail function is usually part of the php(not phpbb) install which allows mail to be sent via the mail() php functions. However al ot of hosts disable this or limit to stop their hosting being used as a spam base :) smtp allows you to route your board emails through another email sever

Jerry_102

Post by Jerry_102 » Sun May 07, 2006 1:33 pm

karlsemple wrote: the mail function is usually part of the php(not phpbb) install which allows mail to be sent via the mail() php functions. However al ot of hosts disable this or limit to stop their hosting being used as a spam base :) smtp allows you to route your board emails through another email sever

Thanks for that info....

entengo

Post by entengo » Sun May 07, 2006 1:33 pm

That never happened to me on my forum. I set the Activation on my forum to "None" because my forum is a spam forum.

Return to “2.0.x Support Forum”